25 things my Android phone does that make my iPhone feel like it comes from the 1990s

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
25 things my new Android phone does that makes my iPhone feel like it comes from the 1990s

Summary: My new Android phone makes my old iPhone feel like a dinosaur. I did not root my phone. Every app you see here is a standard product, available from the Google Play store. This is what you can do right out of the box.

By David Gewirtz for DIY-IT | July 11, 2013 -- 11:09 GMT (04:09 PDT)

Previous | Next Image 1 of 26

25-things-my-old-iphone-cant-do-620x.png

There are (at least) 25 things my old iPhone can't do

A few weeks ago, I told you about my plans to ditch my old iPhone 4S and get a brand-new Samsung S4 Android phone. Well, a few days later, I did just that.

Since then, I've been playing around with the new phone and I came to a rather surprising realization: it makes my old iPhone feel like a dinosaur. We have a bunch of Nexus 7 tablets floating around the house and I use mine almost every day. But a phone is a far more personal device and, as a result, the desire to make it truly fit with a lifestyle is strong.

I knew the S4 had a lot more features than the iPhone. But until I started playing with it, the scope of the advancement of the device over even the iPhone 5 wasn't immediately apparent. This gallery should rectify that.

Before you dive in, I have a few things to say. First, I'm well aware of the state of handheld technology from the 1990s. Back then, we were in the early PalmPilot days, and there weren't smartphones. That's not the point. I know the iPhone seemed advanced five or seven years ago, but using it now, holding it next to the new Android phone, it feels so dated. It seems older than just the last decade. It seems like something from before the turn of the century.

The second thing I want to say is that I did not root my phone. Every app you see here is a standard product, available from the Google Play store. This is what you can do right out of the box.

Well, without further ado, let's explore the 25 things my new Android phone does that makes my iPhone feel like it comes from the 1990s.

Image courtesy David Gewirtz and some Photoshop magic.

P.S. For you language purists, I went back and forth about whether the title of this should be "25 things make" or 25 things makes" and I decided on "makes" because it's the 25 things in combination that makes the iPhone seem so last-generation. The 25 things, in that context, becomes a single thing, so "makes". Now, read on and stop fussing about English grammar.

Previous | Next