3G access via usb dongle

tonyselon

Jul 23, 2011
Anyone know if its possible to get A500 to work with a 3G usb dongle?
I use a Vodaphone usb dongle to get 3G access on a Dell netbook when I visit my dear old mother who doesn't have broadband or wi-fi so was hoping to take A500 and get online when I next visit her
Thanks
TP

tonyselon

Jul 23, 2011
BT your wi-fi is sporadic and feeble that is why i prefer 3G which is faster than most of you so called hot spots .

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
The A500 doesn't support USB 3G adapters yet. It's probably not much help, but you can use the dongle with a Win7 PC, turning it into a hotspot. Two programs are Connectify and Virtual Router.

To eliminate the need for the extra PC, look up "Cradlepoint Mobile Broadband Router". There may be a couple of different models, but they accept a 3G dongle.

Last edited:

SAMTHEMAN888

Jul 26, 2011
I THINK it does, 3G dongle only need power to operate, that is if you payed for the subscription, so plug that bad boy in and should work. Love to see if it works.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
I use a Vodaphone usb dongle to get 3G access on a Dell netbook when I visit my dear old mother who doesn't have broadband or wi-fi so was hoping to take A500 and get online when I next visit her
Thanks
TP

Your best bet (what i did) is just use the hotspot feature off your phone. You get the 3g/4g service without the added hardware, 2 devices vs 3, and the cost is the same and your not stuck with a 2 yr contract, you can stop the extra service at anytime.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks
TP
It is not the fault of the A500 that there is no support for 3G USB dongle. Android hasn't got the drivers because it is a scaled down version of Linux. The manufacturer of the dongle should come to the party and provide drivers and an app for the tablets. But if you really wanted the 3G you should have purchased the A501 which has 3G included.