4.010.08 update?

theallspark

Jun 5, 2011
I am currently downloading this update and probably will install later.

Is this the 3.1 HC update we are so eagerly waiting for? Coz I received the 1.141 update just 2 days ago.

Thanks for the response guys! Cheers! :)

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Guy, there are lots of threads on this right now....why not read a few... And the answer is yes.

theallspark

Jun 5, 2011
yeah i noticed, sorry bout that. I haven't installed the update yet coz im still checking out the cons like the one I read here that he couldn't connect to his router after updating to 3.1 and others said that their tab was slower compared to 3.0.1. so Im kinda stuck whether to install the update or not.

I would really appreciate it if you would give me some advice or suggestions since Im really new to the tablet scene and android. Thanks a bunch for answering my question though. :)

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I installed it...I'm not having any wifi issues or any slowness issues, but I do seem to be getting a lot of forced closes of the media player and clear.fi.

I'm wondering if I should do a reset and re-install everything fresh....kinda makes sense to do so now that 3.1 is out...

It seems a lot of the problems are not universal....so you may or may not have any issues. I would say go for it but that might not be the best solution for you.

theallspark

Jun 5, 2011
thanks for all your suggestions sir. :)

haha. unfortunately, its too late now, I had the problem of downloaded the update and can't install it. it just said "system update invalid and cancelled". even after hard restarting with and without the sd card, it just says my device is up to date. I think my tab is working fine with the 1.141 build installed. I hope acer fixes the 3.1 issues then roll out another batch.

powerhouselb

Jun 20, 2011
Well, I just gopt the prompt this morning to download and install updae 4.010.XX (can't remember the rest). It weighs in at around 350MB. I couldn't install the other update either. I'll report how it all turns out when it's done.

powerhouselb

Jun 20, 2011
Well, I'm back. The update was for 4.010.11
This makes the second update made available to my tablet and the second that simply will not install. This one CONSISTANTLY states that the update is not valid and is cancelled.
Acer is really starting to put a bad taste in my mouth. I couldn't even install 1.141. whatever whatever. If anyone can help with this issue, I sure would appreciate it. Techs at Acer can't seem to offer anything useful.

JDL4438

May 26, 2011
I got this update last night but it was only around 36mbs. It worked and my A500 seems more responsive. Have not noticed any other changes tho.

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
No dice for me with the 4.010.10 update, kept getting the not valid error message. Took matters into my own hands and installed 4.010.11, downloaded from XDA. Everything running perfectly.

nickyclem

Jul 22, 2011
I installed this update 2 weeks ago and after doing so I had to factory restore as wouldnt connect to wifi...:mad: My question is weather the 4.1 update diffrent or the same as 3.1 I am not going to install if I will end up restore again and lose all information on Tablet
again

thanks nicky

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
No dice for me with the 4.010.10 update, kept getting the not valid error message. Took matters into my own hands and installed 4.010.11, downloaded from XDA. Everything running perfectly.

Probably it said not valid because you already hacked your tablet.

Back on the 8th of July you posted:

I have rooted my A500 since updating to 3.1. Gingerbreak will not work. I used Iconiaroot which I downloaded from the XDA Forum to my PC, then moved it to my A500 via Drop Box. It installed perfectly from Drop Box.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...7-rooting-after-hc-3-1-update.html#post109306

You see a pattern developing here?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I installed this update 2 weeks ago and after doing so I had to factory restore as wouldnt connect to wifi...:mad: My question is weather the 4.1 update diffrent or the same as 3.1 I am not going to install if I will end up restore again and lose all information on Tablet
again

thanks nicky

There is no such thing as a 4.1 update. Things are confusing enough without introducing imaginary releases.

Tablet was shipped with Android 3.0.1.

There was an Official 3.1 OTA release which had a wifi bug which bit some users.
(There was a hacked release of bata software floating around on the net, it was never pushed OTA).

Then there is a 3.1 patch (about 47meg) to patch the wifi bug in 3.1. Which exact version BUILD Number you ended up with depends on where you started, but they are all listed in THIS PDF. This is still Android 3.1.

However some people never did get the 3.1 before it was halted, or the hacked their system to the point that Acer couldn't tell what they were running, so they got the whole OS pushed OTA (360Meg plus or minus).

Whether you got the Patch or the Full OS replacement, you will still be running Android 3.1 and your Build number will be Acer_A500_4.010.xx._COM_GENx. The x parts vary by region.

Last edited:

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
Probably it said not valid because you already hacked your tablet.

Back on the 8th of July you posted:

I have rooted my A500 since updating to 3.1. Gingerbreak will not work. I used Iconiaroot which I downloaded from the XDA Forum to my PC, then moved it to my A500 via Drop Box. It installed perfectly from Drop Box.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...7-rooting-after-hc-3-1-update.html#post109306

You see a pattern developing here?

What "pattern" are you aware of and referring to? Exactly what are you trying to say?

BTW, I returned to stock before I even downloaded the update.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The pattern where you hack it once, you have to keep hacking it because OTAs don't install after that.

Patch files look for specific contents at specific offsets in specific files.
If the contents don't all match exactly, the patch refuses to apply.
This is how the patch engine works in the linux world. Android is Linux.

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
The pattern where you hack it once, you have to keep hacking it because OTAs don't install after that.

Patch files look for specific contents at specific offsets in specific files.
If the contents don't all match exactly, the patch refuses to apply.
This is how the patch engine works in the linux world. Android is Linux.

Then why are some able to install right over root anyway, losing root in the process, but the update has worked?