4.2.1 Failed update, now I can't find how to update

CARVERitUP

Feb 28, 2013
I was in the middle of the update screen for my TF300 after checking for updates and seeing it was available, and then the image of the Android character on its side with the Exclamation Point in a triangle symbol over his chest (which I'm assuming means the update failed). So I restarted my system and it told me it "recovered" back to the previous version. But now, I can't update, because when I go back to "check for updates", it says my system is up to date, even though my current version is displayed to be 4.1.1.

Any help? can I find the download package somewhere in my files to try the update again?

Thanks guys

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It's possible to still get the update. The first thing I would try would be to go into settings apps all and find the DM client & CM client and On each of those and tell it to clear the cache for stop and restart on both apps. After doing that go to settings about check for an update again.

If that doesn't work you can go to the ASUS website and find the firmware that corresponds with your location, country, and extract the first file and put it on your tablet under/SDcard then reboot.

CARVERitUP

Feb 28, 2013
It's possible to still get the update. The first thing I would try would be to go into settings apps all and find the DM client & CM client and On each of those and tell it to clear the cache for stop and restart on both apps. After doing that go to settings about check for an update again.

If that doesn't work you can go to the ASUS website and find the firmware that corresponds with your location, country, and extract the first file and put it on your tablet under/SDcard then reboot.

Thanks! I tried the cache clearing, but that didn't work. Going to go find the firmware version now. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I'm on the website for the firmware, but the most recent update available is one from 1/29/2013, not this 4.2 update.

Last edited:

CARVERitUP

Feb 28, 2013
They should have it posted for the TF300 any day now so keep checking. That should work. You can also extract that first file to a microSD card and restart. Same end result.

Dang, that stinks. I'm so impatient right now because I can't wait to see this update xD Thanks for your help, I'll keep checking and trying things!

CARVERitUP

Feb 28, 2013
US Firmware now up on ASUS's website! Wow this new launcher is interesting! Is there a way though to set the things back to the bottom of the tablet screen (landscape) again though? I use the keyboard dock and like having the touch area near where my hands are typing, not at the top.

Other than that, thanks for the help!

cemanuele

Mar 15, 2013
Patience grasshopper..... ;)

Tried downloading the firmware to the root of the SD Card but it still won't update. Running original 4.0.3 currently.

I extrated the zip file so all thats on the root directory is the META_INF folder and the BLOB file.

Any suggestions?

Also I searched for updates and got nothing, says its up to date.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You only need to extract the first file, it will still be a ZIP file. You went one step to far.

cemanuele

Mar 15, 2013
No luck....

Does the SD card need to be formatted, does the size of the card matter? I wouldn't think so, since it has no problem reading the files from the File Manager App. All I have on the microSD is the zip'd file that was extracted. EP201_768_SDUPDATE.ZIP.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The size of the card doesn't matter, anywhere from 2GB to 64GB should be fine but it also should be formatted FAT32. If restarting doesn't work withe card inserted try putting the file in the root of the internal storage "/sdcard" and it should find it. Be sure to have the version that belongs to the country you're in.

cemanuele

Mar 15, 2013
No luck, put it in the root of the internal SD and nothing, even checked on the update check screen. I did a reboot also (Volume- and Power).

I made sure I downloaded the US version too.

No go. :-/. Any other suggestions, this is starting to piss me off.

Also, I'm starting to get some lag issues with my app selections. Its like the unit becomes un-responsive. I've put back the factor settings, but after a month or so it comes back and starts acting up again. I was hoping the new OS would fix it.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There may be something blocking the update. I suggest you do a factory reset. You can use the app backup app to back up the apps and settings but it won't back up the data and when you set it back up do not telll it to sync with Google. As soon as you have your settings in, try for the firmware update again.

cemanuele

Mar 15, 2013
...no luck, did what you said.

tried firmware update w/o file, then put the file on the root. Nodda. What do you think could be blocking it?