5 eBook Reader Apps for Android Devices

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011

by Guest Posts | Saturday, 26th May 2012 |

The pleasure of reading a good book is unparalleled. The satisfaction gained from absorbing literature can beat any videogame, sport, movie, or social interaction. Reading takes you to new worlds, untouched realms of imagination, and undiscovered lands of emotion – all of which are courtesy of the human imagination. For centuries now, books have been the medium of transporting this pleasure far and wide. However as the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] decade of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century is gaining speed, a new method of delivering this medium has come. More and more books are being published and read in the form of e-books or electronic books. So, dear reader, if you’re planning on reading books on your Android device, which applications will you use? In this article, I’ll suggest 5 common and trusted e-book reader apps.

Kobo. Kobo e-books provides a different reading experience. Aside from it’s impressive collection of interesting titles, this app can also monitor and track your reading statistics. You can buy e-books from inside the app itself add them directly to your device for more convenience. Sharing your memorable reading experience is a delight with Kobo because of the integrated Facebook feature which not only makes your reading delight for yourself, but also makes it a delight for everyone else who’s a friend of yours.

Google Books. The sheer vastness of books that you can read through Google Books (around 3 million titles) sets this reading app apart from other e-book reading apps. Being from Google, with this app, you will be able to choose and read from tons upon tons of books from Google’s vast library of free and public domain books. Some of these books are hard to find anywhere else.

Sony Reader. The Sony Reader Android app comes pre-loaded with three classic titles by default. That’s to kick-start your reading experience right off the bat so that you can taste the bliss of reading immediately. Sony Reader also includes other features like adjustable font size, and the ability to create and edit bookmarks and highlights in books.

Nook for Android by Barnes & Noble. Nook is an amazing app. With it, you can access around 2 million titles, and the best part is that you can try any magazine or newspaper for absolutely free for 14 days. You can also sample Nook books free! You can choose from hot and new releases, bestsellers, or classics. Nook can also keeps your place so you can resume reading your book, magazine, and newspaper right from where you left off.

Kindle. Last but not the least is Kindle. If I may say, this is kind of classic. Aside from being able to access countless titles, Kindle also recognizes and “remembers” where you left off. It can also sync with your other devices that have the Kindle e-book reader, so if you start reading a book at home, you can continue with it on your commute with your smartphone. Now, isn’t that convenient?

So you see that reading’s not only no longer limited to books made of paper, but there is also a wide variety of tools or e-book reader apps that are available at your discretion. But remember, book or e-book, whatever e-book reader app you use, don’t forget to simply let yourself fall victim to the blissful pleasures of reading.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I have 3 of those but only use Sony and Kindle. I used Kobo quite a bit before Boarders sold out. I had problems with them after that, so haven't been back. I have a Sony ereader so I download books to both that and the Tablet. Kindle is pretty neat because I can have the book on the Tablet and my iPod Touch. Also, if you go to Ereader News Today and sign up for the emails they have 10-20 books every day that are free for that day.

cmoncorsa88

Jun 1, 2012
hey guys i wonder if you can help me. i recently got a generic android tablet. for my mum to read books on. i have seen that you can buy discs that have 1000's of book on, i just wondered how i can put the books from the disc onto my generic android tablet. please help. thanx

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The easiest way would be to copy the books from the disc to a micro SD card on your PC, and then put the micro SD card into your tablet.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
cmoncorsa88 said:
hey guys i wonder if you can help me. i recently got a generic android tablet. for my mum to read books on. i have seen that you can buy discs that have 1000's of book on, i just wondered how i can put the books from the disc onto my generic android tablet. please help. thanx

Easiest way would be ab external SD card if it has a slot for one.

topaz47

Feb 27, 2011
I have been trying to download Blio onto my Coby MID7015, but I can't. Does anyone know why or how?

raju201239

Mar 23, 2012
kobo, Google books are my favourite for reading books. My tablet device is very useful for me in reading interesting topics when I am free with an ease.

Starblock

Jun 18, 2012
i would just like to add Mantano Reader... got the idea from Frapshake..

User friendly advanced ebook reader for PDF and EPUB.
Read books on your tablet or phone, highlight text, create text annotations, search words in remote dictionaries.

Mr.Strong

Aug 4, 2012
hi
im new in this forum
just bought android table, but not the fancy one, still on the way tho, figured i want to read all i can as i never use android before, and one of the reason im buying tablet is wanted to read ebook
and thanks for this forum and thread
good job everyone

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Mr.Strong, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets, glad to hear you're enjoying the forum. To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android.