7036 Won't charge, defective power port?

olddawg

Dec 4, 2012
My grand daughter's 7036 won't charge. The charger plug seems a little loose and when I plug it in and press the power button it does not show charging. I checked the charger on my grand son's 7036, so I think it must be the connection on the 7036 power port. I have seen several complaints on this but would like to know if anyone has tried to repair theirs? It is under warranty and I can send it back along with $15 for return, except I have rooted it and can't unroot it. Not sure if they will check that. Any suggestions?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I've repaired the jack on my roommate's 9742. In her case the jack physically broke because she dropped it, but it seems the wave soldering process tends to not put enough solder on the feet of the jack. This results in the jack loosening or even popping off the board. Open up your tablet and add some solder to the pads holding the jack to the board to fix it.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Have a tiny screwdriver and a guitar pick, if you don't have a thumbnail.

olddawg

Dec 4, 2012
:DHappy grand daughter. I finally got time to repair her 7036. The case is not easy to open, had to pry and pop the edges loose and wondered if I was breaking anything. Once inside, I just had to remove three small phillips screws to access the port. I also untaped the battery wires to allow me easier access. The port had broke loose from the pads and is a very weak design. I soldered it back. (I am not the best at soldering, but got it done) Plugged in the charger to test and I was back in business. Snapped the case back in place. I don't recommend using the device with the charger in because to port is very fragile and extra strain on the plug might break it loose. I suspect I may have to do this again someday and will probably get a better soldering iron and maybe there is a way to epoxy the port to the board to hold it more securely.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you properly soldered the jack to the board you should not need epoxy. When I did this repair I made sure the solder covered the top of each "foot" on the jack, thus ensuring the solder holds the jack in place.

That said, it's good you got things squared away.