9742 Root help?

trvbone

Apr 28, 2012
I would like to have Root, CWM and Gapps, what is my best method or plan of attack? Coby Kyros 9742. Any help would be great thanks

Sent from outer space

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
All the tools you need to do the job is in the sticky at the top of the forum. The only thing it doesn't provide is a link to getting the Google apps, and you can find that just by searching on Google. As for the best method or plan of attack, before doing anything, root and make a dump of the stock firmware. Then ask yourself whether you want to just install a custom recovery and the Google apps, or if you want to try a custom ROM. Once you can answer that question you will likely know what to do.

trvbone

Apr 28, 2012
All the tools you need to do the job is in the sticky at the top of the forum. The only thing it doesn't provide is a link to getting the Google apps, and you can find that just by searching on Google. As for the best method or plan of attack, before doing anything, root and make a dump of the stock firmware. Then ask yourself whether you want to just install a custom recovery and the Google apps, or if you want to try a custom ROM. Once you can answer that question you will likely know what to do.

I just want root with CWM stock ROM with Gapps. I already have Gapps from flashing my SGS3. From what I read the ROM available for this tab aren't really stable. I could be wrong but browsing through the forums that is what I saw. Anyway the ROM I saw posted was just a modified version from another similar tab I think. Would be awesome to build a CM10 build for this out even AOKP lol.

Sent from outer space

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Since you know what you want then you need to:

• root
  • make a dump of your firmware
  • install a custom recovery
  • copy your Google apps package to the MicroSD card.
  • install the Google apps using the update from zip option in CWM.
  • boot

Once you get everything booted, you might want to download the files linked in my signature to improve the experience with the tablet.

trvbone

Apr 28, 2012
Are you referring to the tweaks zip? If so is this just flashed via CWM or is it run through script app?

Sent from outer space