A Complete Moron's Guide to 'Rooting' Your WM8650

cletus

May 21, 2011
I am a technological idiot. All I knew was that my new tablet did not work and it was mostly in Chinese - not a clue did I have how to fix it. The IT guy at work said it needs 'rooting' but didn't know how to do it.
I searched this website to try and find out how to 'root' my android- most threads I read might as well have been written in hieroglyphics (no offence meant).
So for anybody unfortunate to be as dumb as me here's how to do it :-
1. Go to Settings
i) Applications
ii)Unknown Sources - make sure there is a green tick (touch to change if not)
Return to main menu
2.Go to Browser
i) Search for Applanet
ii) Download - the download will appear in 'Notifications' (black drop down bar at the top)
iii) from Notifications, touch the download notification and Install
iv) Run Applanet
3. Return to Browser Search
i) Search for z4root
ii) Download (as above)
iii) as above
iv) Run z4root - it will give you 3 options, temporary root, permanent root or uninstall - take your pick.
4. There isn't one - you've done it.
Now you can download apps until you turn purple and explode.
I cannot take any credit for the above - Jani gave me the answer (cheers mate - if I'm ever in Finland I'll buy you a drink) I just did the idiot bit.

Jani

May 25, 2011
Another segment to The Moron's Guide to WM8650: when you switch on the gadget for the first time and there is some feature bugging you, please do not immediately do the factory reset as it might cause just more problems than you already actually have. Reseting apparently removes all the applications from the device, so if you don't know how to get them back, better not to do it hastily.

Try and use the tablet for a couple of days, read the forums and if after that there is still something that really needs the reset, then go for it.

May 31, 2011
Hello Cletus,

I was referred to this thread for a question I have.
I recently purchased a Chinese Andoid tablet WM8650 E18 and I've been trying to enable the ADHOC mode on it.

Pbauer mentioned to me that there are ROM upgrades available, that are compatible with the E18 tablet, that
also have the ADHOC mode enabled..

Since I'm new to this, I am hoping for a little help.

Thank you in advance..

relic

Jun 14, 2011
will this tablet support live wallpapers? i have the original firmware...maybe I need to try the new one listed above?

relic

Jun 14, 2011
I found this ROM at http://www.crashzilla.com/support/WM8650/ROM%20Update%20Instructions%20WM8650.pdf

I
also spoke with the developer. This is for the wm8650 with the blue LED light only. according to the instructions, you simply copy to an SD card and flash.

I've read bad things about using applanet...so do your own homework before using the applanet/z4root method. don't take my word for it, just google applanet and you'll find a lot of bad press about it.

crashzilla's ROM appears to be the easiest and most reliable. however I haven't done the upgrade myself yet.

wmaxwell

Jul 5, 2011
has anyone confirmed the best root softawre and method for the wm8650 7" screen, green lite, vibrate not working, chinese apps only MID model?

wmaxwell

Jul 5, 2011
Thank you,

I have the exact unit I think, software etc. It also came with a case w/built-in keyboard and wired usb mouse. The 2 usb ports are for both of those devices. I paid $98 us, through **********.

How can I get a decent e-reader app and also get out of the Asian droid market place and open up the possibilities and uses on this device please? I thank you for any help in advance.

yugten

Jul 16, 2011
i followed the procedure but when i ran the applanet it wont show apps except the top portion of the website. as shown below

$20110616150314.jpg

this is the version of applanet i had installed

$20110616161528.jpg

below is my tablet specs.

View attachment 3209

appreciate any help from you guys!

Last edited:

ironics

Jul 21, 2011
I found this ROM at http://www.crashzilla.com/support/WM8650/ROM Update Instructions WM8650.pdf

I
also spoke with the developer. This is for the wm8650 with the blue LED light only. according to the instructions, you simply copy to an SD card and flash.

I've read bad things about using applanet...so do your own homework before using the applanet/z4root method. don't take my word for it, just google applanet and you'll find a lot of bad press about it.

crashzilla's ROM appears to be the easiest and most reliable. however I haven't done the upgrade myself yet.
bro will this also work on 8" apad wm8650 froyo 2.2?

security802

Jul 30, 2011
OK, so followed directions to do this, and got the 100% and remove sd card... NOW only have a blue line that scrolls, doesn't seem to allow the sdcard to be read to reflash.... HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Emailed the addy that on the direction page from crashzilla. No answer from there HELP!!!!!!

Via wm8650 green/red led vib on start

cryonchick

Aug 17, 2011
Ok, how do I know the root worked? I did as Cletus posted and nothing seems to have changed, I still cannot install the actual Android market, the chinese one is still there and dtsill crappy and everything I do try to DL says it is incompatable .... Am I forever doomed to Dling on to a SD then installing from that once put back in the tablet? I have gotten the error that there is an "authentication error check pass and email" from the start when trying to access my Android apps account, and still do!

squeekpress

Aug 17, 2011
It seems like every app I try to install I'm having problems with my permissions.. I get an error stating Storage (modiify/delete SD card content) .. I just purchased an 8GB micros SD which has nothing on it.. so I'm not sure why I am getting this message.. Also I am getting network communication error (full Internet access).. I am however linked to the internet via wi-fi with full signal? This is my 1st tablet so please bare with my ignorance.. Thanks in advance for any help. I have the 8" WonderMedia WM8650 running Android version 2.2 / Kernel version 2.6.32.9-default / build number generic-eng 2.2 Froyo Ver1.3.1-20110602.033938 - Also green/red led vib on start

Last edited: