A couple of questions.... Rooted Nook

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Now that I have my nook color rooted, (and I love it!) can you answer a couple of questions for me....

1. I like to write, and it would be great to download to nookcolor and edit using an app. I downloaded repligo Reader, and I was thinking it stated you could edit using that app... but I can't figure out how to download my files to that particular app....

2. Will someone please explain this.... after rooting I have an icon an android man with corss bones underneath it. and underneath the picture it has Super User. What is that??

Thanks in advance, guys. I still can't find the Thank you button. Someone said it was underneath the avatar???

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
There are several txt editors/readers available in the Market, it would help to know what type of files you are trying to load/edit/download. If you use a file explorer, Astro, ESfile explorer, you can navigate to the file and open it with your app of choice. ES offers read/write privileges on certain type of flies. The Superuser Icon indicates that you have /root. Superuser(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superuser) on Android is a gateway of sorts that alerts you when an app requests write access. This is only possible if you have root. Superuser=Root, though I don't know why you would see it at boot.

Please forgive me if I am overly technical I have been on CM7(ROM) since shortly after I rooted my NC so the capabilities of the stock B&N are not my strong suit. With that being said I know my way around fairly well and would love to help any way I can. I would point you here to start, http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ks-frequently-asked-questions-read-first.html if you haven't read it already.
A%20couple%20of%20questions....%20Rooted%20Nook.jpg

:cool: The "Thanks" button is right there, when available. :cool:

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
1. What file format (.ext) are you files?
2. The SU app is a program that gives permission to run root (administrator) functions to other apps you have installed, such as softkeys, button savior, root explorer, setcpu, etc.

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
The type of file that I am wanting to transfer from my PC to an app on my Nook Color, is a story that I've been writing. If I could transfer it, I could edit, look for mistakes, etc... there are nights I can't sleep, and I could do this without disturbing everyone.
But, which one to get.... I purchased Repligo Reader... in the discription it stated you could load files and edit them. But this one will not let me do that.

Not sure if I am loading them correctly though.. How would you load files from your PC to an app on your Nook Color??

Thanks ...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Ok here goes...
This is a search in the market for pdf editors> https://market.android.com/search?q=pdf+editor&c=apps it appears that most of them, both paid and free support many different formats, both viewing and editing.

With that being said if you use Google Docs there is some MS Word integration as well as full document creation/editing capabilities and its free with with a Gmail account. It also allows for syncing and back-up over different devices computer, NC, phone easy drag and drop upload etc.

There are several ways to get files on to your Nook start with this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...olders-my-home-network-via-my-color-nook.html I use Dropbox and Samba Fileshare for most of my file transfers, I have not plugged my NC into my computer in a while. Both are simple and easy to use. The above mentioned ES File Explorer allows you to easily access any networked libraries, your laptop etc and then copy files to the NC. Again in order to open the files on the NC navigate to the file and long press. You should get a dialog window prompting you to choose an App.

Again I hope this helps and if you have any further question please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
Not a bad suggestion, but I prefer Documents to Go. I like the UI better, and I use my NC for exactly what she wants to do.

I downloaded Documents to Go and ITS perfect!!!!! Thank you so much for your help!

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Whichever software you use, swype, slide-it yada yada, it is no fun as of real keyboard !

Cobra Commander, why don't you order two of them, one for me and one for you :)

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Whichever software you use, swype, slide-it yada yada, it is no fun as of real keyboard !

Cobra Commander, why don't you order two of them, one for me and one for you :)

Before I used SlideIT, I hated typing on my phone or NC. I'm all thumbs! More typos and backspacing than anything else. But SlideIT fixed all of that. The logic in the software is amazing at predicting what I'm trying to type. If my desktop keyboard was half as smart, I'd be thrilled..

Rhonda19

Mar 5, 2011
I find myself wishing that the "real" keyboard sitting here on my desk had a SlideIT-like blue line that helped me type.. Oh but to just drag my finger around on this archaic thing!

I know nothing about computers, and when I rooted my NC, I had to find a You Tube video that " walked " me through it!! (LOL)

So.... how do I go about getting the keyboard?? I can honestly say I simply ADORE my new Rooted NC!!! Before I used it some, to read...maybe surf the web (some) but more often than not, it just sat in its case. NOW.... I have downloaded apps, and use that thing everyday!! But, I do wish it had a real keyboard...even if it was a little small....