A strange e-mail problem

Speedybengal

Feb 8, 2012
Hello to all;

I'm new here and I have a slight e-mail problem. There's nothing wrong with the sending/receiving part, but on one of my e-mail accounts (out of three) when I get the notification on the screen that I have an e-mail incoming it always says it's from seniorpeoplemeet.com, a site that I've never had anything to do with. When I open the mail it's perfectly fine as sent.

This machine is a refurb from Acer and I haven't had any other problems with it. Does anyone know if this is a machine problem, and if it is, what it takes to fix it?

TIA - Doug

davea

Feb 26, 2011
speedy-
It is not a problem with the A500. You probably submitted your email address to a company once upon a time, and the company has since 'sold' your email on a list to a marketing firm who uses it for advertising. Best to just delete it. Don't open it as that's just a confirmation to the company that it's a valid email.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My goodness Speedy, this can't be your first exposure to spam can it??

The good news, is if it is a gmail account, simply hit the "report" spam option.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
My spam folder in gmail is an endless source of amusement for me. I just realized that all I need to do is send a few hundred dollars to obscure overseas addresses and I can pick up millions of dollars that I must have somehow forgotten I had coming to me.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Tablet Forum

J

jimbo7630

My spam folder in gmail is an endless source of amusement for me. I just realized that all I need to do is send a few hundred dollars to obscure overseas addresses and I can pick up millions of dollars that I must have somehow forgotten I had coming to me.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Tablet Forum
I've been searching for those "instant Millionaire" sites/addresses for yonks! please don't PM me, we might have to share the wealth!

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Hello to all;

I'm new here and I have a slight e-mail problem. There's nothing wrong with the sending/receiving part, but on one of my e-mail accounts (out of three) when I get the notification on the screen that I have an e-mail incoming it always says it's from seniorpeoplemeet.com, a site that I've never had anything to do with. When I open the mail it's perfectly fine as sent.

This machine is a refurb from Acer and I haven't had any other problems with it. Does anyone know if this is a machine problem, and if it is, what it takes to fix it?

TIA - Doug

Doug, let me get this straight...
You are getting notifications in your taskbar that say you have a new email message from seniorpeoplemeet.com.
Either you tap the notification popup OR you go to your email app, but the email is not in your inbox?

I am confused by the "When I open the mail it's perfectly fine as sent" part. It doesn't make sense ? :( ?

Now, if you are asking about why you are getting the notification, but not being able to find the message in your inbox:
Sometimes you will be notified when you get a spam message. It doesn't ALWAYS happens, but it DOES happen sometimes. The message is most likely in your spam box andvnot your inbox.

On the other hand, if you are asking about why you are getting these messages:
It is spam. It is either (a) sent via a spambot who send the emails to hundreds of random addresses and happened to find you, (b) sent to you because you gave your email address to someone (website, etc) who shared it with a mass marketer, or (c) any other numerous reasons.
No matter what the reason, this isn't an Android issue or an issue with your tablet. It is an email spam issue. Nothing we can help you with.

As for the other conversation going on here:
Do spammers really think that people are still stupid enough to fall for those "send me your personal info and I will send you money" scams?
Oh wait... there ARE those stupid people still =_='
It makes me want to cry actually.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

jeannette27

Oct 28, 2012
Hi all - I'm having problems receiving emails - although can send I'm using Android 4.0.3 - any suggestions
Also is there provision for an address book for emails?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hi all - I'm having problems receiving emails - although can send I'm using Android 4.0.3 - any suggestions
Also is there provision for an address book for emails?

If you can't receive its almost always something wrong with your password or other account information. Go carefully through your account setup. If all else delete the account and start again.

Your contacts / people application is the source for all email addresses, phone numbers, and physical addresses. Make sure all of your contacts are synced with your Google account. Don't store your contacts only on your device, and never sync your contacts with Facebook.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2