A tablet for my mother

alpinestar

Apr 2, 2012
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a tablet for my mum, and I'm fairly new to the tablet market so not really sure where to start. Did a search but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for, so here goes:

She'll be using it for:

• Email
  • Skype (camera is essential)
  • Online TV services (such as BBC iPlayer for those from the UK) so flash will be important
  • General web browsing
​So with the above in mind, processing power is not an issue at all, as long as it can play standard quality videos smoothly (not bothered about HD). Having said that, it would be good if the interface is smooth and responsive (part of the reason for avoiding small underpowered laptops), but I figure that if my HTC can cope then a tablet will be fine. Battery life isn't important, but a good couple hours would be nice.

​Budget is absolutely no more than £200.

The larger the screen the better, so I'm guessing 10 inches would be at the far end of the scale?

She knows nothing about android and isn't particularly computer literate, but I figured that for what she needs she'll get best value for money and a touch interface with android will probably be very easy for her to get used to. While she's not techy, I know my way round a computer very well and own an android phone, so I'm happy to pay slightly less for something that I can set up for her, as long as she's ready to go after that and won't need to worry about maintenance i.e. anything more than software updates after that.

So can anyone suggest anything? I had a look and found one of these that seemed to fit the bill, but I'm wary of the fact I've never heard of the brand and the lack of reviews. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
The ZTpad is a Zenithink C91 and it is a lovey tablet. It has its own thread on this forum here: Zenithink ZT280 C91 & C91 Upgrade

It does however need a 3G dongle or WiFi to access the internet. If you want to have a plug and play solution you might want to buy a Tablet with built in SIM slot.

alpinestar

Apr 2, 2012
Thanks for that. A mobile connection isn't an issue, as she'll only be using it with a WiFi connection. I'll have a browse through the link you gave, thanks very much :)

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Hi, you might want to check out the latest 9.7" ips capacitive screen models also, I have a senai n90 which so far have found excellent for all those needs you mentioned except maybe you would want a better webcam. This is only 0.3 mp front and 2.0 rear. Onda vi40 elite has better cameras as do a few others like cube u9gt2. Its worth che-cking out sites like mcbub,spemall & redtablets all of which give support on this forum as do others.( check supporting vendors pages). These have quite a selection of tablets worth taking a look at. They also offer great value for money. Just have a look, you don't have to take my advice but buying from a trusted seller is worth a few extra pounds/dollars .

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

alpinestar

Apr 2, 2012
Cheers, the Onda looks pretty spot on actually. She really likes the look of it so definitely a contender.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I liked it too but it was a little too much for my budget and at the time nobody had any 16gb ones in stock. The ips screens are so easy to use its remarkable they can make them for this sort of money. I love mine :)

alpinestar

Apr 2, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Decided to go for the Onda vi40 elite in the end, will report back once it arrives!

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Please tell me how you find it. It would be interesting to see how my senai competes.:)

alpinestar

Apr 2, 2012
Right, arrived today. Very impressive piece of kit, the quality of the build is really top notch. Everything works as it should, apart from a couple of things which are actually fairly disappointing:

1) BBC iPlayer does NOT work properly on this tablet. I'm not sure if it's because it doesn't work properly with ICS or just this tablet, but the audio keeps stuttering and lags behind the video, although the video seems to play fine. I've tried setting the browser to desktop/android 2.2 mode with no success, and I've tried using firefox android as well. Same thing happens. If anyone can think of a workaround then I'd really appreciate it. Youtube and other video sites seem to work fine.

2) Skype doesn't work properly. The video output at the recipients' end isn't right: the picture is there, but it's covered in pink and yellow lines. The "preview" screen on the tablet's end of the Onda shows the output as it should (and it's very good quality as well), so it's not a hardware problem. Again, if anyone has any suggestions then I'm all ears.

So am I just going to have to wait until BBC/Skype release an update for ICS? Or are there any other options?

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I've heard a few people say that iplayer is no good with ics yet, maybe there will be an updated version for ics. Most folks seem to recommend just viewing through browser instead. Now, as for skype, mine does exactly the same thing. I don't know why this is and will try to find out. If you get there first please let me know and I will do likewise. At the moment I'm not too concerned as long as I can see them. I was told to mike has a bit of an echo but was clear enough. It may be just low end electronics or there may be a cure . Glad you're happy otherwise.

alpinestar

Apr 2, 2012
Yeah I'm getting mic feedback at the recipients end too. The android iPlayer app actually just opens the browser anyway, which is where the problems are starting. Still researching the skype thing, I'll let you know if I find anything.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1) BBC iPlayer does NOT work properly on this tablet. I'm not sure if it's because it doesn't work properly with ICS or just this tablet, but the audio keeps stuttering and lags behind the video, although the video seems to play fine. I've tried setting the browser to desktop/android 2.2 mode with no success, and I've tried using firefox android as well. Same thing happens. If anyone can think of a workaround then I'd really appreciate it. Youtube and other video sites seem to work fine.

Have you tried updating Flash Player to make sure you have the current version? Should be 11 something. If it doesn't show in the market you may need to side load it.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I can't download youtube app but can watch from website.