A500 Iconia: HDMI out with display off?

biogon

Aug 4, 2011
So I just got the Iconia. Plugged in my HDMI cable and it mirrors to the TV.

This is all good, until I want to watch a movie streaming from the tablet.

I can't turn off the display with the power switch -- if I do that, the output stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-j

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have an idea: Don't turn off the tablet display.

If the display bothers you, turn the tablet away from you.

intelmax

Aug 3, 2011
I'd like to be able to do this. Also, when you are just listening to some youtube videos would be nice to have the display off to save battery. There should be a way to do this, maybe a widget?

let us know if u find out! regards,

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
i tried to plug in the hdmi cable but there is no output. any idea how to solve the problem?

As far as I know, the HDMI port is always active, and there is no controls in settings for this.

So if you see no output, chances are you TV is set to the wrong HDMI input. (If more than one HDMI port on the TV, move the cable).

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011

I can't turn off the display with the power switch -- if I do that, the output stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-j

Adjust the settings, as Icebike said, to never turn the display off. The only problem is that you would have to set it to max timeout, which is 30 minutes: Apps -> Settings -> Screen -> Timeout.

antc9

Aug 10, 2011

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-j

Today I watched an AVI that I had to play with software decoding and the tablets screen was off while movie was playing via hdmi.

biogon

Aug 4, 2011
Today I watched an AVI that I had to play with software decoding and the tablets screen was off while movie was playing via hdmi.

Interesting! Did you manually turn it off, or did it turn it off by itself?

-j

Jun 15, 2011
The issue I have with the HDMI cable for A500 is when I have it on my plasma, the image comes out too big. I adjusted the settings on my plasma to try and fit the A500 onto the screen but no good...any settings on the A500 to adjust settings for the HDMI display?

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Why Ethernet Matters: Getting ethernet to your numerous internet capable devices required either a wireless signal, which can decrease performance, or an additional dedicated cable from each unit to a connected internet source. Ethernet-ready HDMI cables allow you to still combine HD video and digital audio in one cable, with the added benefit of also being able to carry all of your favorite internet content.

Even though HDMI cables support Hot Plug Detection, improper usage might result in resetting / restarting both devices, or even may cause damage to the devices. Therefore, we do not suggest Hot Plug action for any HDMI cables. Please make sure both input and output devices are off when plugging or unplugging HDMI cables.

Last edited:

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
If you pay more than $10.00 including shipping for a 6-9 foot HDMI cable for your a500 then you have paid to much. Name brands like Monster are way over priced and are absolutely no better than the generics!!

I have a Boxee Box, Roku, Blu-Ray player/streamer, Dish HD Receiver and also connect my Laptop via HDMI to my Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV. I have 1 Monster cable and all the rest are generic. I have switched them around and can absolutely see no difference.