A500 odd Wifi problem

AlexLeov

Jan 2, 2012
Hi, I have an odd fault with the wifi on my A500. it will not connect to my belkin router, it just continually says scanning.

I have had it for approx. 5 months and have had no problems with wifi up untill today. I had been having problems with my PC connecting to wifi and was going over the settings and set my router to wireless N only rather then b+g+n, i had to enter my wpa key on my pc, iphone and went to do it on my a500 but it would not connect. i put the settings back on my router but still no go. the odd thing is that i can turn the personal hotspot on my iphone on and it will connect instantly (i did not have to do any changes to get tethering to the iphone to work. it worked out of the box on a iPhone 4 bought in NZ).

what I have tried.

I have reset the a500 to factory settings
set my router back to factory settings
tried the double hard reset
reset by holding the power and volume rocker and flicking the orientation lock, just gives me the android with an exclamation mark.

the tablet is running 3.2. build no acer_a500_7.006.3_com_gen1. have checked to see if there is an update but there is not.

I have looked over the threads regarding the wifi fault with 3.1 but does not seem to be the same as it will connect to my iphone.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and i hope someone can help

jpinsl

Dec 3, 2011
Try resetting it by poking a paperclip in the "reset" hole near the USB port. I have seen this behavior on two different stock tablets and a quick reset fixed them both.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Reset your router to WPA2. Its the least error prone. Make sure the passphrase is at least 13chars long.
Then power reset the router.
Delete/forget the Belkin routers from your tablet.
Then paperclip reset the tablet.
Let it scan for hotspots.
Acer doesn't use the 5ghz band, so if your router offers this, decline to use it, and stick with only the 2ghz band.

There should be an upgrade for the software to 3.2.1 real soon now.