A500 WIFI Problem

justinli79

Sep 8, 2011
I got my A500 yesterday. I charged it and turned it on and followed the steps and connected it to wifi. It worked all right for a while.

Unfortunately, the wifi won't connect any more. It was authenticated and stopped at "Obtaining IP address from 2WIRE118".

I tried rescan, forget the password and input it again, static IP. None works.

I saw a lot on internet about A500 wifi problem. Is it a hardware problem or software problem? Is it fixable? Should I exchange one from Amazon?

Thanks in advance!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Folks have suggested changing your router settings from WPA/WPA2 to WEP and/or changing the channel to lower than 11. You might try that.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Always tell people the version of the software you are running when asking for help.

justinli79

Sep 8, 2011
Always tell people the version of the software you are running when asking for help.
I am with Android 3.0.1. I forgot the build number. I'm not with my tablet now.

Go to Download , then select Tablet, Iconia Tab, A500, select Operating System, then Patch
I googled a little bit. And found that it's a problem of Android 3.1, for which the patch is. Should I upgrade to 3.1 and install this patch?

There was a blackout yesterday here. This morning I tried to connect wifi again. It connected and works fine. Anyone has any idea of what's the root problem?

Thanks to all you guys for your replies.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Its actually a problem of 3.0.1, which is why I asked your version. I'm surprised your tablet is still running that old version, but if you could get it on line then maybe you could upgrade. You're in a bit of a catch 22 as it stands.

Go find a paperclip. Keep it with you for when this happens again. Cuz i will.
Start your tablet trying to connect, and when it starts looping getting an ip address tap the paperclip into the reset hole. Tablet will reboot.
Most of the time doing this once or twice will let it connect. When it does, register the tablet using the registration app, then go to settings, about, and check for updates. You should get 3.1.

justinli79

Sep 8, 2011
Its actually a problem of 3.0.1, which is why I asked your version. I'm surprised your tablet is still running that old version, but if you could get it on line then maybe you could upgrade. You're in a bit of a catch 22 as it stands.

Go find a paperclip. Keep it with you for when this happens again. Cuz i will.
Start your tablet trying to connect, and when it starts looping getting an ip address tap the paperclip into the reset hole. Tablet will reboot.
Most of the time doing this once or twice will let it connect. When it does, register the tablet using the registration app, then go to settings, about, and check for updates. You should get 3.1.

I just got it at Wednesday and have no chance to upgrade it. After upgrading it, shall I install the patch mentioned by sopranosv ? Or I will be lucky enough, and the upgrade will include the fix?

Thanks a lot!

justinli79

Sep 8, 2011
After the blackout(that reset my wifi router), it worked ok. And then I update it to 3.1, it works ok so far.

Thanks to you all for the help.