About the 1042

wirapuru

Jun 11, 2012
Hi everyone, just registered - I even didn't know AndroidTablets exist before getting this Coby for my grandfather - yeah well, risky going off the streamline of iPads but I couldn't afford one (and really didn't want one) and coming from 2 years of messing with Android phones (thanks xda for that) I thought it would be at least possible to hack this one, but it has being tougher than I expected.

At the time, I had to decide in a couple of hours which one to get and looking around the reviews at Amazon and Newegg i got the MID1042 (specifically this one). I had the feeling I was risking too much but I had to decide it quickly and after deal with the whanots on hacking it.

And here I am searching everywhere on info about the 1042 and almost none to be found.. I've read almost every thread in here on the 7042s, 8042s and 9742s but not even in the comments people mention this guy.

I have messed a lot with 3 phones before (and initiated some friends into it heh) but I have not any, none, experience in these Android tablets. From what I've seen these two days it doesn't go much far away but being this an ICS, Google-unsupported and not much popular tablet I'm really lost.

What I wanted to know is, firstly, if I can help in any way dumping its image or anything else - or was it already done?

Then - I suspect it's a no but - could I flash any of these 7042/8042/9742 into this tablet for testing? If yes, there's some way to backup and restore the original image if needed? All I saw was these LiveSuit procedures that didn't seem much reliable (I fired up the application here and *egh* I didn't feel that way since the first time I used RSD Lite for my Milestone 2 years ago).

I cannot go medieval with this one since I bought it for my grandfather (he can't speak so I'm trying some new approaches to help him to communicate) but I sure can mess around, I've done a lot with phones so I'm no newcomer to this. If anyone can help me with some directions on what to do or to wait or to help with I'll be gladly appreciated.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You should be able to root it, via same as the rest, don't use livesuite or any livesuite image, only use the root method.

wirapuru

Jun 11, 2012
Which way, you say? I don't remember seeing a root procedure for these new 4.0.3 coby devices around except the ones with LiveSuit. Could you point me to some thread/post?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There are several threads including two of my own that explain how to root the new coby's all use the same method by saurik

spaz

Jun 7, 2012
i had the same problem. i pretty sure i have tried every form or rooting i can.

if you find somthing please PM me. i shall l do the same.

im glad to see im not only one looking now.

purplegold

Jun 21, 2012
Hi everyone, just registered - I even didn't know AndroidTablets exist before getting this Coby for my grandfather - yeah well, risky going off the streamline of iPads but I couldn't afford one (and really didn't want one) and coming from 2 years of messing with Android phones (thanks xda for that) I thought it would be at least possible to hack this one, but it has being tougher than I expected.

At the time, I had to decide in a couple of hours which one to get and looking around the reviews at Amazon and Newegg i got the MID1042 (specifically this one). I had the feeling I was risking too much but I had to decide it quickly and after deal with the whanots on hacking it.

And here I am searching everywhere on info about the 1042 and almost none to be found.. I've read almost every thread in here on the 7042s, 8042s and 9742s but not even in the comments people mention this guy.

I have messed a lot with 3 phones before (and initiated some friends into it heh) but I have not any, none, experience in these Android tablets. From what I've seen these two days it doesn't go much far away but being this an ICS, Google-unsupported and not much popular tablet I'm really lost.

What I wanted to know is, firstly, if I can help in any way dumping its image or anything else - or was it already done?

Then - I suspect it's a no but - could I flash any of these 7042/8042/9742 into this tablet for testing? If yes, there's some way to backup and restore the original image if needed? All I saw was these LiveSuit procedures that didn't seem much reliable (I fired up the application here and *egh* I didn't feel that way since the first time I used RSD Lite for my Milestone 2 years ago).

I cannot go medieval with this one since I bought it for my grandfather (he can't speak so I'm trying some new approaches to help him to communicate) but I sure can mess around, I've done a lot with phones so I'm no newcomer to this. If anyone can help me with some directions on what to do or to wait or to help with I'll be gladly appreciated.

I can tell you from first hand experience that using livesuite and the 7042, 8042, 9042 images is not good. I think it would be great if you could upload the firmware dump and some nice person could create a 1042 .img

The instructions are under the thread about submitting firmwares.