Acer 100 GPS signal poor/not working

DIRTYLOUD

May 30, 2013
Hi All,
I have recently installed an Acer A100 tablet into my car to use for GPS navigation which went well the very first day using NAVFree USA. The second day trying to use the navigation it gives the "poor GPS" signal and NEVER does find my location...What a bummer.

I am running this tablet in "offline" mode not connected to wifi or using any data just purely off the GPS signals. I have also installed AutomateIt to automate some tasks

- When power is connected: Airplane mode OFF, Wifi OFF, Bluetooth ON
- When power is disconnected: Airplane mode ON, Bluetooth OFF, Screen sleep after 30 seconds.

I cannot for the life of me get it to work again. I have tried downloading other apps and it seems they too cannot find my location via the GPS signal either. I have also ended the tasks running and tried reinstalling. I've also tried rebooting the device.

I want GPS navigation just to show what streets im on, what streets are coming up next. I DO NOT use GPS for coordinates/poi directions.

Thanks

DIRTYLOUD

May 30, 2013
Considering the potential for interference from the dashboard I'm surprised it ever worked. Tablets typically need an unobstructed view of the sky

This doesn't make any sense. I have gotten GPS in my basement perfectly fine. I'm thinking it has to do something with Airplane mode being left on over night.

Airplane mode is triggered to turn on when no power is supplied to the tablet and turn airplane mode off when power is on.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Turn OFF Airplane mode. Airplane mode blocks wifi, BT, and GPS.
Make sure you completely shutdown the tablet at night.
And before using it again, clear cache and data and reboot again.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
This doesn't make any sense. I have gotten GPS in my basement perfectly fine. I'm thinking it has to do something with Airplane mode being left on over night.

I don;t see that working in your basement and working in the car are that closely related. There is a lot of shielding in the car and all dash mounted GPS systems have external, (window mounted), antennas. However, airplane m,ode may indeed be the problem.