Acer 500 Tablet Microsdhc card speeds-- according to Acer Customer Support

tcoman

Sep 10, 2011
On September 12, 2011 at 10:30AM (CST...i.e. GMT-6) I spoke with Acer Customer Support and asked what class (speed) micro-sdhc cards are supported by the Acer A500 tablet. This is what I got from their support (untouched, no changes--- spelling, and all....:):

Suja S Kumar: Hi, my name is Suja S Kumar. How may I help you?
cheryl coman: whqat speed microsdhc cards supported by acer 500?
Suja S Kumar: Are you referring to tablet A500?
cheryl coman: yes-- wjat else?
Suja S Kumar: Cheryl, It supports MicroSD memory card up to 32GB (SDHC 2.0 compatible with support for up to a Class 10 microSDHC card)
cheryl coman: so, you're saying that the acer a500 tablet will write 10 mb/s and read at 20 mb/sec (class 10 speeds)?
Suja S Kumar: It is SDHC 2.0 compatible.
cheryl coman: that's not my question-- are you saying that my acer a500 will write 10 mb/s and read 20 mb/s (class 10 specification)???
Suja S Kumar: Let me check with another department so that I can get a confirmation.
cheryl coman: ok
Suja S Kumar: May I place you on hold for 2 minutes?
Suja S Kumar: Thank you for being online.
Suja S Kumar: The concerned team is still researching.
Suja S Kumar: May I place you on hold for 2 more minutes?
Suja S Kumar: Thank you for being on hold.
Suja S Kumar: The SD card slot will support class 10 specifications.
cheryl coman: great-- I'll get this out on the web immediately-- thank you, Suja!!!
Suja S Kumar: You are most welcome.

OK, it's not exactly God talking, but the Acer community can hold Acer accountable
if the info is incorrect!

Remember this, however-- you're actual speeds depend upon a several variables.

Some Class 10 cards are better than others (so what's new? Surely manufacturers don't fudge their data...).

Your tablet environment affects speed-- what's going on (multitasking, available RAM, etc.).

Size of the files you are transferring affect performance-- small files will normally transfer faster than larger files).

The utility (program) you might use to "measure" speeds is only as good as the person who coded it-- I can write a speed utility, and it will "measure", but I can slant it anyway I want. Or, maybe I have incorrect technical details and am not really "measuring" correctly, at all! Caveat emptor.

The way you wiped your nose this morning.....well, maybe not this one!

Ya' pays yur money, and ya' takes yur chances.... Hope this adds something to consider.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Being able to accommodate a class 10 card in NO WAY indicates the ability to write at a given speed.
You've got the situation totally backwards.

The tablet is guaranteed not to exceed the card's capabilities.
It's not guaranteed to live up to the card's maximum performance.

Nothing tech support said changes that.

You've simple demonstrated a total misunderstanding of what the specs mean.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I agrre with you 100%-- as I said in my original post.

Actually what you said in your original post was this:

Suja S Kumar: Cheryl, It supports MicroSD memory card up to 32GB (SDHC 2.0 compatible with support for up to a Class 10 microSDHC card)
cheryl coman: so, you're saying that the acer a500 tablet will write 10 mb/s and read at 20 mb/sec (class 10 speeds)?

He said it would support a class 10 card. He is correct, I use one.
You jumped to the conclusion about speed of read and write.

Ford Truck Support: Hello how can I help you
Cheryl: I want to transport my HP LaserJet 4000 on my 10 ton Ford Flatbed truck, will it carry it?
Ford Truck Support: Yes the Ford Flatbed will carry up to 10 tons. There should be no problem.
Cheryl: So you're saying the HP LaserJet weighs 10 tons?

kentuckyrandy

Aug 5, 2011
I agrre with you 100%-- as I said in my original post.

What icebike is trying to tell you, is that acer did not answer you with a specific answer. They simply told you that it would accept a class 10 card, not that it would work at class 10 speeds. I work with software designers and IT everyday. They never answer questions like that specific. But are trained to make you think they have.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Most corporate tech support read remedies from cue cards. Most of the time they know less than a newbie. If tech support is needed our best bet is this forum, or one of the many forums dedicated to the brave new world of Android. Right now we are on the cutting edge of this new technology, and we are all trying to get upto speed with this platform. If we are patient enough the answers will come eventually. This new system is a challenge, and this is what makes it so attractive to many of us. The learning and knowledge will bring rewards later down the road.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Most corporate tech support read remedies from cue cards. Most of the time they know less than a newbie. If tech support is needed our best bet is this forum, or one of the many forums dedicated to the brave new world of Android. Right now we are on the cutting edge of this new technology, and we are all trying to get upto speed with this platform. If we are patient enough the answers will come eventually. This new system is a challenge, and this is what makes it so attractive to many of us. The learning and knowledge will bring rewards later down the road.

Lmao. Most of the time when I call ANY tech support, I know more than they do. I once called Microsoft with an issue I couldn't find a solution to on the internet. I mentioned the word "BIOS" sometime during the conversation and the guy (foreign of course) didn't know what it meant. At that point, I basically gave up with talking to him and said goodbye.
Customer support is usually pretty useless and tpunknowledgeable based on personal experience -_-*

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum