Acer A700

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Wow....was waiting on a Transformer Prime...but since it's having all kinds of issues right now, including being hard to get (again), I'm happy to just wait on the A700! And a true 1080p screen too. YAY.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Acer was displaying some here in texas runnign the tegra 3, and the new displays. Very impressive but not yet on market (other then the a200 hitting).

THe case design on the proto was very nice and sturdy. Movies in 1080p looked amazing and 3D enabled (memory hog tho).

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I got to see a test unit aain, runnign ICS and showing off the 3D games and movies. I wil lsay the screen is gorgeous and much nicer over the Ipads.

Just no official pricing yet, which has me worried. IF the United States pricign is high, then my friend in Australia is going to be pissed, they already pay excessive import costs.

Hopign acer keeps prices low for them to match other regions.

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
The A700 should be out in Europe in April, June at the latest.

I was more surprised with the A510 coming out at the same time - basically a A700 (penta-core) with the A500 (lower resolution) screen.

As I have my tablets output to my projector (300", Epson EX5210) I'm wondering if the A510 would be fine - the resolution is ok as it outputs via the HDMI anyways - but the increased processor speed (3 times faster than the Tegra 2) would be a major advantage in HD formats which can bog down the Tegra2.

So I am leaning towards the cheaper A510 penta-core over the A700 penta-core at this time.

EW

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I will concider upgrading to the A700 after seeing it run. The screen is just so gorgeous. They had a Nvidia demo game running on it in full 3D depth.

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Would be nice if Acer would give some indication of when these two tablets would be available in the US.

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
I'm curious how the Asus Transformer PAD 300, 500 and Infinity 700 (dubbed T-Prime HD) will compete with the Acer A200, A510/A511 and A700/A701 tablets. Currently much of the comparisons center around the older Asus Eee series such as the two Transformer Prime tablets. IMO the PAD appears to be an evolution to the Transformer series and perhaps will replace the Eee Pad series in time. Also I'm curious about the Asus Padfone which is top-of the-line - just over the T-Prime HD - which seems to be yet another evolutionary branch.

It would appear Asus has the "upper-hand" -BUT- Acer has been too quiet, me-thinks (I bet something major in development); it will be interesting to watch product announcements and roll-outs over the next 12-months especially with 2 GhZ Tegra 3 chips and the Tegra 4 ready for release late this year.

One major consideration for mtself (other than a USB port) is the inclusion of a very good camera. I used my Gateway A60 (A500) for a month long overseas trip and the videos and pictures were great! So ANY tablet I would purchase must include a large-aperture camera (good for low light), a good LED or 2 for flash-photos and low-light movies. The savings alone over not having to get another camera and/or movie camera (plus memory card, case..) I'd rather invest into a quality tablet.

Being able to take family photos and movies and play them back right away or apply special effects on the spot (or use Adobe Photoshop) really made the A60 (A500) tablet shine on this past trip. The A700 has a flash 5 megapixal camera, the A510 has the same sans flash which is a deal breaker for me (many times the single-LED on the A60 (A500) saved the day with still photos and low-light (night-time) movies).

Asus seems thus far, to me, include better cameras (large aparature, LEDs, 8 Megapixel (although for 4 by 7 prints 3 is just fine & saves memory so adjust your software settings). I think both companies are missing the boat here and not exploiting this feature as well as they could-gave/can.

EW

Last edited:

mikearnill

Aug 25, 2012
I would say that Acer A700 is one of the finniest creation of Acer, it is damn cool, simple to use, have marvelous design, wide screen, brilliant touch, cool camera and the thing I like most about it is that one can handle their stuffs easily.