Acer Icoina A500 Bluetooth Keyboard!

eman14_91

May 10, 2011
So i work at Staples as an easytech agent and we already have the Iconia case and the Iconia itself. will i was looking over the paper work i found this:

"Acer also has a range of accessories to go with the A500, including a full-sized Bluetooth keyboard for $69.99, a dock with an IR remote for $79.99 and a case/stand for $39.99."

there were no dates on the paper so hopefully we'll get them soon

Edit: I forgot to add this, at the bottom of the page it gives specs on all accessories. For the Bluetooth keyboard it says:

1. The listed battery life is based on MobileMark 2007® productivity mode testing with wireless on. Details of MobileMark2007® testing are available at www.bapco.com. Battery life rating is for comparison purposes only. Actual battery life varies by model, configuration, applications, power management settings, operating conditions, and utilized features. A battery's maximum capacity decreases with time and use.
  2. 9-cell battery pack (for 12-hour battery life) is subject to availability.
I dont know if its just talking about the keyboards battery life or the keyboard and tablet together

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Of course this won't happen till the bluetooth profiles in the Acer are updated. Right now the only thing it uses bluetooth for is A2DP, (stereo headphones)/

In the mean time, if you happen to have a wireless USB Keyboard + Mouse combo hanging around you can use those.
I tested with a HP USB (wireless dongle) keyboard, and it worked great. The A500 doesn't know what to do with the
mouse, but the keyboard is handled seamlessly.

The key thing when shopping for one of these is to get a brand that has the stubby (half inch long) dongle.
Expect to pay anywhere from $15 (yeah, fifteen!) to 40 bucks depending on quality and brand name.

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
I plugged the mini dongle from my Acer Net Top into the A500's USB and was able to use the keyboard. No mouse though.

agent16

May 10, 2011
The Stoaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard by iGo that some of us may have owned to use with older PDAs works at least in part with the A500. I tried it out today but have not explored it thoroughly yet.

mmilestone

Feb 22, 2011
Of course this won't happen till the bluetooth profiles in the Acer are updated. Right now the only thing it uses bluetooth for is A2DP, (stereo headphones)/

That is so not true. I do not believe it is correct to just spout of such assumptions without any basis of fact.
I have an old Logitech bluetooth keyboard with trackpad for the PS3. Guess what? It totally works PLUS Mouse pointer through the trackpad.

All you have to do is enable BT and scan devices on the Iconia. Press the reset button underneath the Logitech KB and when it's detected by the Iconia, type in the numbers to pair and connect them.

It also works on the ASUS Transformer(I also have one along with a Huawei S7). Haven't been able to make it work with the S7 though.

JPaul

May 27, 2011
I'm using the Verbatim folding BT keyboard. Even the multimedia keys on it work perfectly. I really like it. This keyboard comes with its own case. All fits into the small case I use to carry the Acer.JPaul

Last edited:

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
Tried to get some bigger ones, but these are what I found at Acer - Accessory Store: List Page.

Protective Case $A500 Protective Case.jpg
BT Keyboard $A500 BT Keyboard.jpg
Docking Station $A500 Docking Station.jpg

MMort

Jul 10, 2011
For for those of you that are looking for a keyboard and case for Acer Iconia A500, there is new listing on Amazon that garantees the keyboard to work with Android 3.0 Acer A500. It looks good. Price is not bad either $34.95. I'm ordering it for my Iconia.
Just look for ASIN: B005BZ3MEU