acer iconia a100 screen

lilrobo

Nov 26, 2011
i just cracked my screen on my so i need to get another ,, or know how to replace this one .... is there any good deals out there ???

thanks

aztec3

Oct 28, 2011
So sorry to hear this, but just a quick question...I assume you did NOT have it in a cover case, correct? I don't want to risk such damage on my uint, so I have it in a case (the acer A100 case, very nice, but the fake leather smells awful) and don't want to try a drop test.

stolk

Apr 12, 2012
i just cracked my screen on my so i need to get another ,, or know how to replace this one .... is there any good deals out there ???

I cracked mine.
The screen is the worst screen I have ever seen:
- cracked from a 1ft drop from couch to floor. My iPad survives that easily.
- viewing angle is ATROCIOUS! And also asymmetrical: you can only view it in landscape with buttons facing you, if you rotate 180 degrees: no contrast, purple colours.
- touch detection is horrible: I keep hitting the wrong buttons on the screen.

After the crack, I sent my unit to Acer.
They want 200 dollar plus tax for repair.
What a scam. I am not paying that. You can almost get a new one for that, and a refurb from ebay is even cheaper.

For all others: be warned, and don't be duped into buying this piece of crap from a company that treats customers like this.

bram

BDiddy

Aug 19, 2011
$189 refurbished at the Acer eBay store:

Acer 7-inch Android Tablet 8GB Blue | A100-07U08W (884483918164) | eBay

The screen isn't great, but that's partly how they're able to sell it relatively cheap. Remember, this was the first 7" tablet with Honeycomb when it came out. It's true that the viewing angle is not great, and the touch detection can be inaccurate (typically at the periphery of the screen). But I got it for $189 new at Best Buy for Black Friday, and that was a pretty darn good deal for what it is.

Whether or not the screen cracks when the device falls to the ground doesn't necessarily depend on how far it falls. It has a lot to do with the angle at which it hits the ground. Even though the A100 has Gorilla Glass, it's not indestructible. I'm curious to know how much Apple would charge if you cracked your iPad screen. That would suck much more, considering the iPad costs 2-3 times as much as the A100.

mvaraujo

Sep 26, 2011
I found a complete repair kit, with both the glass and the LCD, for US$ 99 at eBay: 7" ACER TAB A100 A 101 LCD Screen display Panel + Glass Touch Digitizer Repair | eBay

I'm just pointing it out, with no endorsement. Use your discretion.

My own A100's screen has just been broken too.

For the 'were you using a case' questioning: yes, I had/do have one, wallet styled, with an opening on top. On my broken/cast arm, hold to the vertical tilt, it slipped off and fell angled on a single corner.

It's now aesthetically ugly, but 100% usable and with almost no reading drawbacks.

Before this incident, I already have had ordered a pack of SkinDigital's excelent anti-glare film.

I hope they will make the cracks a little (or a lot) less noticeable for the difusion of the light.

On SkinDigital's. THESE I garantee: SkinDigital Store - Cases & Accessories For Tablets, eReaders & Mobiles!

Enriching the post, here I present you to the damage.

$Cracked.001.JPG

Although the seriousness of these cracks, there's no noticeable loss on sensitivity even on the most damaged areas.

And the broken glass, at least to this moment, shown to be harmless.

The most severed areas are kept hidden when inside the case, as shown below.

$Cracked.002.JPG

Hence, I'll wait a little more before spending hundred bucks ordering that kit.

Shall any of you try that, please, keep us posted!

In time: this is my SECOND A100. The previous was left inside a cab... I usually forget things on cab rides...

So, this is not the first time I use SkinDigitals protective films. Believe me, they are great, albeit very inexpensive, chinese, free shipped worldwide (no matter the destination!).

And, of course, I'll make sure this one will not be forgotten somewhere long enough to justify buying another glass...

Regards,

Marcus Vinicius Araujo ([email protected])
Porquê tirei essa foto?

Khalbrae

Jul 10, 2013
My LCD screen underneath the glass/digitizer is cracked.

I have an Acer Iconia Tab a100, a pretty nice little device.

Sadly I was foolish and didn’t buy a protective case for it. (I have been buying cases for certain ever since this debacle)

It dropped and the inner LCD screen cracked, preventing it from operating.

The outer glass and digitizer appear to be intact and I would have handled the repairs myself but there is one part I am just not confident in.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/itdojo/acer-iconia-tab-a100-teardown-lots-of-tech-crammed-into-7-case/3028

The tablet seems to be mostly easy to take apart and navigate, but the LCD itself is apparently glued very well to the digitizer and I don’t have any tools that would be able to handle the job of removing the two parts.

I am fortunate that the LCD itself is a cheaper component

http://www.parts4repair.com/7-acer-iconia-tab-a100-lcd-screen/ (example online)

The digitizer/glass front is far more pricey. So I don't want to %%&$ that up by haphazardly trying to tear the massively glued screen from it.

$LbCf8wu.jpg
It looks almost fine when it’s off.

$T2287V2.jpg
It’s when you turn it on that you see the screen damage.

Anybody know what sort of tools/techniques I would need to remove these two parts from each other without damaging the gorilla glass/digitizer?
$6324205-620-414.jpg

I'm unable to find any advice online for this :(

Last edited:

osowiseone

Jul 18, 2013
My LCD screen underneath the glass/digitizer is cracked.

I have an Acer Iconia Tab a100, a pretty nice little device.

Sadly I was foolish and didn’t buy a protective case for it. (I have been buying cases for certain ever since this debacle)

It dropped and the inner LCD screen cracked, preventing it from operating.

The outer glass and digitizer appear to be intact and I would have handled the repairs myself but there is one part I am just not confident in.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/itdojo/acer-iconia-tab-a100-teardown-lots-of-tech-crammed-into-7-case/3028

The tablet seems to be mostly easy to take apart and navigate, but the LCD itself is apparently glued very well to the digitizer and I don’t have any tools that would be able to handle the job of removing the two parts.

I am fortunate that the LCD itself is a cheaper component

http://www.parts4repair.com/7-acer-iconia-tab-a100-lcd-screen/ (example online)

The digitizer/glass front is far more pricey. So I don't want to %%&$ that up by haphazardly trying to tear the massively glued screen from it.

View attachment 11082
It looks almost fine when it’s off.

View attachment 11083
It’s when you turn it on that you see the screen damage.

Anybody know what sort of tools/techniques I would need to remove these two parts from each other without damaging the gorilla glass/digitizer?
View attachment 11080

I'm unable to find any advice online for this :(

I ripped mine apart before I ordered anything and my screen was not glued or taped to the top digitizer, however it did have 2 little strips of tape on the backside of the screen to help hold it against the digitizer. But not taped like say a phone screen. It is actually held in place with a metal plate and some screws. I did buy mine refurbished from the acer store but I would Imagine they would rebuild it properly.