Acer iconia a100 v. Coby kyros 7022

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
Hello. I have had the Coby KYROS 7022 for about two months. It has 1GHZ processor, 512ram and 4gb of internal space running Gingerbread 2.3. This weekend I bought the Iconia A100 running honeycomb with tegra 2 dual core processor and 1gig of ram, 8gb internal space. I am considering returning this device! LOL, so i am looking for anyone to tell me any good reasons to keep it!

The tablet state 8gb but on 5.35gb is free for storage

While the honeycomb interface is "pretty", I am really not finding anything else good about this tablet. I guess the browser is somewhat faster than that on the Kyros and the app loading is ok, but I find that some games dont work (Asphalt 5 is on tegra zone, however it says "not compatible with your device". And NOVA HD just hangs on a bright blank screen.

My main pet peeve is this: With my Kyros, I can drop any video file in it and it plays flawlessly at 1080p. The A100, with is NVIDIA TEGRA 2 processor gives me very choppy video on any 720 or 1080 video so far. I have downloaded codecs to all the popular video players (moboplayer, rockplayer,mxplayer,diceplayer. etc. ) all with the same choppy results.

I have read on a number of sites that the tegra 2 processor cannot play 720/1080p video, which i really dont quite understand how a "lesser quality" tablet can outshine this higher quality tablet in this aspect. So I am asking for any good reasons to keep the A100. Thanks.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Why did you buy the Acer if you were happy with the other device? My wife loves her A100 but hasn't tried videos on it yet. It does everything else asked of it though and I will be really surprised if videos are any problem.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
lol..cause it was 189.00!!! My Kyros retailed for 179.00 in September. For an extra 10.00 i got Honeycomb plus dual core. Figured i would get it and try it out....if you are not hung up on 1080p video then i guess its not a problem. i know 1080p on a 7" screen is not a big deal, but it somewhat frustrating that it cant play the file...im noticing that video isnt choppy on all files, but still a bummer.

Also, i cant seem to get some games from the market app. LETS GOLF is not even mentioned..go figure

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
The A100 is a much superior peice of hardware, IMO - especially since it's a well-known brand. I find that with tablets, brand tends to be quite indicative of quality. However, the specifications are also much better.

Honeycomb is a much more optimized interface for tablets; it's not really a modest jump, but more of a new league for the OS. It is just so much more expansive. By the way, Asphalt 5 isn't on Tegra Zone, because it most definitely does not support most Tegra devices. I actually just checked the Tegra Zone website - it isn't there. It definitely doesn't support my recently-sold ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. In fact, it doesn't support a lot of tablets and even some phones. Regarding N.O.V.A. HD, I'm not really sure why that wouldn't work. Have you tried rebooting your device? It fixed issues for Fruit Ninja THD for me when I would never have expected it, so it might help other apps as well.

Also, I would definitely recommend downloading Sprinkle in Tegra Zone as well as Riptide GP (if you're into racing/water racing). The graphics on those games are great and they work really well on Tegra devices.

However, I don't really understand how the issue at hand outweighs the other benefits of the tablet. The tablet cannot play 1080p video, sure, but downconverting them to your display size would save way more onboard space in addition to solving your problem. Besides, the display resolution on the A100 is considerably higher (1024x600 instead of 800x480), which makes for better video watching overall. If you are willing to take the time to downconvert the A100 would be much better for videos.

Also, the Coby has no cameras.

I can certainly see the convenience of being able to drag/drop files easily, but the benefits of the A100 would outweigh that 100% IMO. Tegra games, Honeycomb, dual-core, faster browsing, more onboard storage, better display, dual cameras, video recording, built-in mic...and more.

Also, as a side note, some games are almost always not available for some devices (likely including your Kryos), as they run different OS's, etc. Just wait for Ice Cream Sandwich, and I'm betting the A100 will shine (even though it hasn't been confirmed by Acer, it will likely come eventually).

bishop793

Oct 2, 2011
Thanks so much for your reply and insight. I have downconverted a few files and they seem to play, although not 1080p. I downloaded a trial version diceplayer which plays great. I may have to breakdown and actually purchase an app!

I will definitely try out Sprinkle and Riptide GP and give NOVA HD another try.

As for the Kyros, it does have a front facing camera, although I never had much use for it. Its a great tablet for what I wanted it for at the time (watching movies and linking the hdmi to my tv).

Getting a A100 for 10.00 less than the Kindle Fire was a great deal no matter what. I am sure I will find lots of uses for this tablet. Thanks again.