Acer Iconia a500 charging

mtotheig

Jul 3, 2012
Hey guys new to the forum. so i have an acer iconia a500. its working fine and i have no issues with it except one. everytime i plug it in to charge it gives me an amber light on the power button for like 2 min to 5 min depending on how it likes to keep it like that but after it keeps blinking white light. i dont know what white blinking light means when charging but i know its not charging my tablet. right now my solution is to unplug it and plug it back in and its annoying. so anyone know the problem of my tablet? battery? or the charger?

thanks guys i know someone already asked this question but i have not satisfied with what the others suggested

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Are you using the OEM charger that came with your A500? It seems that the 3rd party ones do not work well, no matter what they say in the ad.
I would also check some other threads, I think this has come up before.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Hey guys new to the forum. so i have an acer iconia a500. its working fine and i have no issues with it except one. everytime i plug it in to charge it gives me an amber light on the power button for like 2 min to 5 min depending on how it likes to keep it like that but after it keeps blinking white light. i dont know what white blinking light means when charging but i know its not charging my tablet. right now my solution is to unplug it and plug it back in and its annoying. so anyone know the problem of my tablet? battery? or the charger?

thanks guys i know someone already asked this question but i have not satisfied with what the others suggested
This seems to be a fairly common question, and I have noticed on occasion that there is some amount of confusion about what various power button LED states signify.

The following post appears relevant to the problem you are seeing: A500 Power Options - Page 2

As suggested by scubaboyc, it may be a battery charger/adapter problem.

What he appears to be describing in the post is a condition where the voltage drops too low, and the battery charge controller disconnects and halts the charge. When the controller disconnects the circuit from the external supply, the voltage there increases by about a half volt. Manually disconnecting the external supply and then plugging it back in apparently resets the charge controller for about 5 seconds until the charger voltage drops under load, where the low voltage condition again causes the controller to halt the charging cycle, and signal the device to flash the white power LED.

Based on direct observations and various reports of a similar nature, I have compiled a list of what Iconia tablet power button LED signals typically appear to signify:

Steady Orange: Normal Battery Charging

Steady White while plugged into external power: Battery Fully Charged

Steady White while not plugged into external power, and dark screen: Device in APX mode

Continuous Blinking Orange: Dead Battery ...possibly unrecoverable if LED signal never advances to steady orange state

Occasional Momentary White while in sleep mode: Device is waking temporarily to do some background task. This is typically a sync operation using the network.

Continuous Blinking White: Battery charge controller error. Possible battery charger voltage regulation problem (under or over required voltage range). This apparently causes the charge controller to disconnect from the external power supply until the controller is reset by removing the power source entirely and then reconnecting.

Last edited:

mtotheig

Jul 3, 2012
I am Using the original charger but i think there is something wrong with it

thanks for the reply

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Have you contacted Acer yet? If it's under warranty they may just send you a new charger. Do you know anyone else that owns one? You could use their charger and see if it's that or the A500 itself. I wouldn't recommend getting a 3rd party charger. I had 2 and neither really worked.

ansukman

Jun 27, 2012
Have you contacted Acer yet? If it's under warranty they may just send you a new charger. Do you know anyone else that owns one? You could use their charger and see if it's that or the A500 itself. I wouldn't recommend getting a 3rd party charger. I had 2 and neither really worked.
I think you should contact to Acer for claim, I just got a new one after use a device for 10 months. It's really short life time for original charger.

adamsmith36

Sep 3, 2012
Is the Acer Iconia OEM charge system smart enough to keep from overcharging battery if left plugged in when not in use?

Thanks