Acer's A100 and A500 tablets getting Ice Cream Sandwich on April 27th -Engadget

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Well, I am ready for it and excited about it, but also a little concerned. I've been using an app called Folder Organizer for a few months and I love it. I love how I can group any or all my apps on my desktop by putting the groups in their own nice looking single icons that are so easy to find. Very organized and cool looking to me. I'm wondering if I will still be able to use this app organizer. I have a feeling I will still love ICS even if I can't use this one. It seems really strange to me that the 501 isn't going to get the OTA upgrade though.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
As cool as this news is, it makes me wonder how long Acer plans on supporting our A500s after this update?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well, I am ready for it and excited about it, but also a little concerned. I've been using an app called Folder Organizer for a few months and I love it. I love how I can group any or all my apps on my desktop by putting the groups in their own nice looking single icons that are so easy to find. Very organized and cool looking to me. I'm wondering if I will still be able to use this app organizer. I have a feeling I will still love ICS even if I can't use this one. It seems really strange to me that the 501 isn't going to get the OTA upgrade though.

Folders come with ICS. So worse case, you'd have to rebuild them all using the Built In method.

With ICS, you simply drag one icon ontop of another and it creates a folder, which you can name. Then you can add other apps from the app drawer.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
As cool as this news is, it makes me wonder how long Acer plans on supporting our A500s after this update?

I'm personally not real concerned about that because by the time the next major Android update is ready, more powerful tablets with more internal memory will probably be out and I will get one when the prices come down a little. Until then, I will be more than satisfied and happy with my A500 with ICS. In fact, I'm very satisfied and happy with it now without ICS. ;)

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Folders come with ICS. So worse case, you'd have to rebuild them all using the Built In method.

With ICS, you simply drag one icon ontop of another and it creates a folder, which you can name. Then you can add other apps from the app drawer.

Thanks for this Icebike! I have read about some of the features of ICS, but didn't see this detail. Sounds like I'm going to like that feature, but if I would rather use my app, I still might be able to do that too. Life is good.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
frapshake said:
Thanks for this Icebike! I have read about some of the features of ICS, but didn't see this detail. Sounds like I'm going to like that feature, but if I would rather use my app, I still might be able to do that too. Life is good.

Well thanks for the Folder Organizer!

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I'm personally not real concerned about that because by the time the next major Android update is ready, more powerful tablets with more internal memory will probably be out and I will get one when the prices come down a little. Until then, I will be more than satisfied and happy with my A500 with ICS. In fact, I'm very satisfied and happy with it now without ICS. ;)

Agreed. It's extremely cool that Acer has supported the A500 as much as it has and makes me want to stay with them.

The new tablets look fantastic. I can easily see an upgrade next year if not sooner.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Agreed. It's extremely cool that Acer has supported the A500 as much as it has and makes me want to stay with them.

The new tablets look fantastic. I can easily see an upgrade next year if not sooner.
Strange no memtion of the EU and Australia - New Zealand. Maybe you US boys will get it first this time. I just tried a check for update and it is not available here. But there is a few days to go so we shall see how it is rolled out.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Strange no memtion of the EU and Australia - New Zealand. Maybe you US boys will get it first this time. I just tried a check for update and it is not available here. But there is a few days to go so we shall see how it is rolled out.

I just did a little research and found lots of websites saying when our Australian - New Zealand friends will get ICS. Some are a few months old, but they all say the same date. Take a look :)
Acer Confirms Iconia Tab A500 Ice Cream Sandwich Update In Australia And New Zealand Will Arrive In April 2012 | Android Must-Have Apps and
Acer Confirms Iconia Tab A500 Ice Cream Sandwich Update In Australia And New Zealand Will Arrive In April 2012
and
Iconia A500 and A100 set for Ice Cream Sandwich updates Mid-April in the States | AndroidSPIN