Add regular e-mail to Google Mail

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

Is it possible to add a regular e-mail account ([email protected]) to the G-Mail app on the A500? I went to the help section which brings up a browser window and the help said you could and directed me to the Add Account under Settings. In the help it says to enter the account's e-mail and password, which I did, but then it says to tap Next. But there is no Next - only Sign In or Create. Sign In signs you into your Google Mail account and Create creates a new Google mail account.

Was the help generic and our specific app cannot accept a regular e-mail account?

Gerry

kes601

May 23, 2011
Use the EMail app for non Gmail accounts. You can find it mixed in with all other apps.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

kwhabq

Apr 27, 2011
I just added gmail to email. Works fine with my comcast account. just one place to check both accounts.

My two pennies.

Ken

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Why not just sign into gmail and have it pick up your verizon mail?

I do this all the time for older or seldom used email accounts. Gmail will pop those accounts and read your mail, and you can put it into folders. You get the spam filtering of Gmail without having to ever set up
those accounts on all your devices. Further, you get to access them via Imap even if they only support pop, because they are all sucked in by Gmail.

Further, when replying to those emails, you have the option to reply from that address.

Its all in the Accounts and Import tab of the Gmail control panel (desktop version).

Last edited:

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Its all in the Accounts and Import tab of the Gmail control panel (desktop version).

Hi Icebike,

So you have to go into Gmail from your desktop PC and then you can set up other e-mail accounts, Gmail or other e-mails, into the current Gmail login. Then when you use Gmail from the A500 it should pull in the e-mails from all of the accounts?

Even though I started this thread to ask this question, I was not 100% sure I actually want my regular e-mail mixed in with the Gmail! I may give the EMail app atry and see how it goes.

Or maybe I'll try adding my regular e-mail into the Gmail!!!

NOT SURE WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!!

But now at least I know what my options are! Thanks for the info!

Gerry

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hi Icebike,

So you have to go into Gmail from your desktop PC and then you can set up other e-mail accounts, Gmail or other e-mails, into the current Gmail login. Then when you use Gmail from the A500 it should pull in the e-mails from all of the accounts?

Even though I started this thread to ask this question, I was not 100% sure I actually want my regular e-mail mixed in with the Gmail! I may give the EMail app atry and see how it goes.

Or maybe I'll try adding my regular e-mail into the Gmail!!!

NOT SURE WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!!

But now at least I know what my options are! Thanks for the info!

Gerry

Yeah, I hear you, its hard to know which is the best route.

Gmail polls your other mailboxes every once in a while, and when it finds mail it puts it in your inbox or a folder of your choice. So its not like it is doing it only when you ask it to. It does it on a clock schedule. Probably not the best for high priority mail, but good enough for backup accounts that you don't always need to check real frequently.

HINT: For your Gmail account, DISABLE POP and ENABLE Impa, and Set the requirement to always use HTTPS (Secure). With those settings, either the Regular Gmail app or K-9 mail becomes PUSH mail (uses imap idleD).