Added two new Android devices over the weekend!

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I bought my wife a Nook Color (and rooted it within 24 hours..) and got myself an HTC Desire (which runs 2.2 and makes me want to put 2.2 on all our devices!)

The Desire is hotspot capable, but I have a question about it.. According to my provider, US Cellular, you have to pay an extra $25/month to have the hotspot capability. I do not have that plan, nor would I pay $25 to have it. However, I tried turning on the hotspot to see if it would work, and it works just fine. Can they see that I'm using it? Will I see a charge on my bill if I do use it?

Android rocks! :rawk:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea they might be able to see that you are tethering if your data usage increases drastically at times, or if you are visiting site that you wouldn't normally visit on the phone. I also tether for free and haven't been caught by my provider Verizon, but I do not use it that much as my home internet is faster.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Well, my data usage before this phone was practically nil, because it was an LG Bliss which is about the most boring phone you can have. Internet on it was a joke. So my usage is going to go way up anyway. I want the hotspot for when we're driving somewhere and we want to look something up, not a full time ISP replacement.. I think I'm going to give it a try this month and see what my bill looks like. It's only money, right? lol

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea it's only money, lol... you should be alright though as long as there is no huge data spikes.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Congrats RaVenJ. My two favorite brands HTC and newly B&N Nook Color.

Android for life! :)

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
I have a Droid Incredible on Verizon. They have done a good job locking down the Tethering unless you pay for it. That is unless you root it. I haven't had a problem since rooting my Incredible.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I have a Droid Incredible on Verizon. They have done a good job locking down the Tethering unless you pay for it. That is unless you root it. I haven't had a problem since rooting my Incredible.

Rooting solves all problems. ;)