Connecting Android Tablet To Internet When No WiFi Is Available

dclary

Jun 13, 2017
Hi. I apologize if this was asked else where, I did a search before posting and only found one similar question from 2011 that was never answered. The specific tablet I am asking about is:

Lenovo Tab 2 10.1" Full HD 16GB Android Tablet
Product Code: ZA000001US
Serial Number: HGCBM49Q
Operating System: Android
Wireless Capability: 802.11 a/b/g/n

My question is about connecting to the Internet when there is no wi-fi available. I am getting ready to go on vacation and where I am going, the nearest wi-fi, or anything else for that matter, is over 30 miles a way. I was told that I could buy a data plan specifically for the tablet but I'm not sure how to go about this. I have a straight talk phone and they also have data plans for tablets, however, it says that the tablet has to be AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon compatible. How do I know if it is? It also says that I have to get a SIM card, however, I am not seeing any place on the tablet where one could be inserted. Am I missing something? One additional thing...If there is no way for me to accomplish connecting to the Internet through the tablet, I have an older laptop that is running windows 7, is there a way to connect it to the Internet without wi-fi?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Your tablet doesn't have a SIM card slot. Therefore it would be pointless to purchase a cellular data plan for your tablet. To connect, you would need to purchase a mobile hotspot device from AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile to get data. From there you can use WiFi to connect to the mobile hotspot and receive data over the cellular network.

AT&T offers a prepaid mobile hotspot device here. Verizon and T-Mobile also have these devices but their plans may differ. You'll want to look and see. Also, while Sprint may also have a mobile hotspot, I generally recommend avoiding Sprint as their service is below par.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi. I apologize if this was asked else where, I did a search before posting and only found one similar question from 2011 that was never answered. The specific tablet I am asking about is:

Lenovo Tab 2 10.1" Full HD 16GB Android Tablet
Product Code: ZA000001US
Serial Number: HGCBM49Q
Operating System: Android
Wireless Capability: 802.11 a/b/g/n

My question is about connecting to the Internet when there is no wi-fi available. I am getting ready to go on vacation and where I am going, the nearest wi-fi, or anything else for that matter, is over 30 miles a way. I was told that I could buy a data plan specifically for the tablet but I'm not sure how to go about this. I have a straight talk phone and they also have data plans for tablets, however, it says that the tablet has to be AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon compatible. How do I know if it is? It also says that I have to get a SIM card, however, I am not seeing any place on the tablet where one could be inserted. Am I missing something? One additional thing...If there is no way for me to accomplish connecting to the Internet through the tablet, I have an older laptop that is running windows 7, is there a way to connect it to the Internet without wi-fi?
Just tether your tablet to your phone, I use straight talk also and have tethered for years.

Or you can buy a hotspot, freedom Pop has them on sale right now, I use freedom Pop free service on my phone, it's dual sim phone, so one sim is straight talk other is freedom Pop.

Sent from my Life_Max using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I need to point out Straight Talk's terms and conditions prohibit tethering. So long as the carrier permits tethering however, that's the easiest way to go. Since virtually all of them prohibit it, and I don't know why they do, the hotspot may still be the best choice.