Adding Books

MetaMs

May 1, 2011
I've had my A500 for three days now and I love this thing!

I'm hoping someone with more Android experience (this is my first Android Device) can tell me how to add my own epub books and have them show up in the books app.

I also use Kindle reader, and I can add them to the Kindle folder (after converting to mobi with Calibre) and they just show up in my book list. But when I add them to the folder for the Lumi reader they don't show up. I'd prefer to keep them in epub format so I'm not limited to using the Kindle reader. The other readers are nicer to use.

Thanks in advance.

PS. The forum needs an Android smiley so we don't have to type Android every time LOL

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I just did this this morning for the first time. What I did was copy an .epub file over to the nook app and pasted it over to the My Documents folder (using a file explorer.) Sync the app and the book will show up in "my files". Open and enjoy. if you want to use Calibre and Kindle, I believe you can send the file to your Kindle via email from Calibre, then sync/update. I haven't done that for a long time, so am just going from memory. Since nook and Kindle are apps, it's just as easy to use one as the other, IMO. I haven't figured out how to do it via LumiRead and didn't have the patience... LOL

sigsauer33

Apr 27, 2011
Your tablet comes with a program called lumiread. When you plug the tablet into your computer you should see a folder labeled lumiread. Drag and drop all books to that folder then safely eject the tablet. Open lumireader, it is found in the ereading App then your books should be there.

cisfast

May 8, 2011
I tried to look for the lumiread folder but I can not find it. I then thought that maybe since I have no books then the folder is not created. I went out and tried to download a book. It placed it on the bookshelf. When I tried to open it, I get an error saying is corrupt. I deleted the book and tried another one and I get the same error. I am guessing it is either something with the app or the store. However, is there something else I have to do after I create the folder? I tried that but the app does not see the books. Thank you in advance.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
It's called the Lumibooks folder. You should find it in your /sdcards/ tree in your file explorer. Put your epubs there and you'll be fine, I believe.
I had the same problem with downloading books from a site and trying to open them. Let me work on that and I'll get back to you with a solution...

cisfast

May 8, 2011
AHHHH...I think my problem is that I do not have an SD card. I will install one and try it again. Thank you for your help.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
You shouldn't need an sdcard. Your internal storage is considered your sdcard. An external one would be ext_sd, I believe. Try to move your books there and open them.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

rkka93

May 5, 2011
So...are all the books purchased through the market epub books? I'm a total noobie to the eReading world.

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Some other questions...
What's the difference between LumiReader and ebooks? I see online that LumiReader may be a Barnes and Noble app. Is it limited to B&N books?

Also, when I click on the shopping cart within LumiReader it says my current region is Deutschland. My other choices are France, Italia, Espanya, and some Asian characters. No US? How do we change that?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Some other questions...
What's the difference between LumiReader and ebooks? I see online that LumiReader may be a Barnes and Noble app. Is it limited to B&N books?

Also, when I click on the shopping cart within LumiReader it says my current region is Deutschland. My other choices are France, Italia, Espanya, and some Asian characters. No US? How do we change that?

The difference is purely that they are different apps that do the same thing - allow you to read. I believe ebooks caters to the most popular formats, though (Kindle/mobi, epub (nook, etc al), non-drm epub (a topic for another discussion), and pdf. LumiReads appears to support epub (both drm and non...) LumiRead is not limited to B&N books, it's simply a matter of learning how to load your books on it via their LumiBooks folder. We cannot get past that region "thing" right now. BUT... if you look at the "+" boxes, you can populate those with the sites of your choice so that you can just click on them and go shopping. I don't know what the limit is but I have 6 different sites loaded on mine that I use. In other words, that big large box that you notice right away - ignore it.

rjmatthews62

May 12, 2011
Your internal storage folder is /sdcard.
The default download folder is /sdcard/Download
Copy books into there (or /sdcard/lumiread, apparently)
If it doesn't find your books, restart lumiread ... settings->applications-->force stop will work, or just reboot tablet.
Lumiread supports txt,epub, pdf, HTML, doc, rtf, mobi/prc and chm.
I recommend using Calibre on your desktop computer to manage books, as it will also manages conversions if needed.
I also recommend a file browser for managing files. I use es explorer.

gordj

May 13, 2011
I just bought my A500 yesterday, and downloaded a couple of epub books from epubBooks: Free EPUB eBooks using Lumiread. I can see the books on the bookshelf, but when opening them, lumiread always says "CAN'T OPEN BOOK, UNKNOWN ERROR". Touching detail shows "internal: E_OPEN_MISSING_EXT_GSTATE".

I assume some of you have tried lumiread to open epub books successfully. Is there some configuration necessary for using Lumiread, or is the Lumiread app (or my A500) buggy? Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
Gord

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
What I've done so far is to download those using the Kindle format. I use the Kindle and Nook apps too, so it was just as easy to use those. However, I'm going to try to run those books through Calibre and see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know.

MetaMs

May 1, 2011
I just bought my A500 yesterday, and downloaded a couple of epub books from epubBooks: Free EPUB eBooks using Lumiread. I can see the books on the bookshelf, but when opening them, lumiread always says "CAN'T OPEN BOOK, UNKNOWN ERROR". Touching detail shows "internal: E_OPEN_MISSING_EXT_GSTATE".

I assume some of you have tried lumiread to open epub books successfully. Is there some configuration necessary for using Lumiread, or is the Lumiread app (or my A500) buggy? Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
Gord

I have added books (epub) to my Lumiread folder and opened them with no issues. In fact, these are some books that I scanned and converted to epub using Sigil, so they aren't fancy but worked just fine. It sounds like the books you downloaded were not actually epub format?

frieslander

May 18, 2011
If the epub file has a name like The Adventures of Robin Hood.epub.no images it will not show up. Use your file explorer and check the file under the Details tab. If there is any text after .epub go to the Edit tab and select Rename. Delete any text after .epub and the file should now show on the bookshelf.