Advice on ROM Manager

upthecreek101

Jan 3, 2011
I want to back up the current firmware on my generic Telechips 2.1 tablet (M701 clone) and think that using ROM Manager could be less risky way for a novice like me than using the ADB and Clockworkmod route (at least that's what the ROM Manager description says).

However I also see that ROM Manager carries a listed of supported devices (almost all of them phones) and that you need to identify your device when running it. I don't see M701, G10, IM7 or the like on there. So my questions are:

1. Based on other's experience is it possible to use ROM Manager with my tablet?
2. If so, is there a ROM Manager compatible device thanks can safely be used in my case?

Thanks,

p.s the tablet is already successfully rooted using the easy method listed on this forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
i would actually recommend using Titanium Backup to create your backup for the tablet. It allows you to restore apps and data to new ROM Images, whereas the other application creates a complete image for restore. Both are important apps to have in your arsenal.

upthecreek101

Jan 3, 2011
i would actually recommend using Titanium Backup to create your backup for the tablet. It allows you to restore apps and data to new ROM Images, whereas the other application creates a complete image for restore. Both are important apps to have in your arsenal.

Thanks for the advice. I have installed Titanium Backup for apps and data, but also want to backup my ROM case of any future bricking, or fallback if I decide to try upgrading firmware. So if ROM Manager is the right app for this, how do I define my device when given the limited list to choose from?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I would go the ADB / CWMod route myself. It really isn't all that hard, and there are lots of good FAQs and processes to follow here....

JiePieWie

Mar 29, 2011
I would go the ADB / CWMod route myself. It really isn't all that hard, and there are lots of good FAQs and processes to follow here....

I'm having the same problem/question and would like to know which faq is recommended for the m701.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum

upthecreek101

Jan 3, 2011
I'm having the same problem/question and would like to know which faq is recommended for the m701.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum

I think he is refering to the 'sticky' postings at the top of the Telechips and Telechips Development Forums. However imo using the ADB/Clockworkmod does require a degree of competance and confidence to overcome potential issues that are likely to crop up, and can be seen from the many postings by others who have got stuck along the way.

For a start many (including me!) have had trouble getting the PC drivers installed and working. There seem to be issues depending on the version of Windows that you are using and also if you are using a USB hub or not. If you can't get past this point then ADB/FWDN is a non-starter. That's why I was hoping to utilise ROM Manager, which isn't dependent on the PC drivers.

JiePieWie

Mar 29, 2011
For a start many (including me!) have had trouble getting the PC drivers installed and working. There seem to be issues depending on the version of Windows that you are using and also if you are using a USB hub or not. If you can't get past this point then ADB/FWDN is a non-starter. That's why I was hoping to utilise ROM Manager, which isn't dependent on the PC drivers.
I've already connected my tablet to my pc without any issues and i can use ADB. FWDN has not been tried yet because that tool is linked directly with the actual installation of new firmware. Which Rom manager are you referring to ? Do you mean this one ?

upthecreek101

Jan 3, 2011
I've already connected my tablet to my pc without any issues and i can use ADB. FWDN has not been tried yet because that tool is linked directly with the actual installation of new firmware. Which Rom manager are you referring to ? Do you mean this one ?

That is the one. But it appears that it can't be used with Telechips tablets (according to the supported device list. If you have got ADB working then you can install Clockworkmod and achieve the same results so long as you know the make of your tablet.

JiePieWie

Mar 29, 2011
But it appears that it can't be used with Telechips tablets (according to the supported device list. If you have got ADB working then you can install Clockworkmod and achieve the same results so long as you know the make of your tablet.
And that is just the major issue i have. I've got what looks like a M701, feels like a M701 but isn't quite a M701. It is a clone/copy of a M701 from PandaWill who sell it as M701. So as you can imagine i'm hesistant to try something that drastic like installing CWM without knowing if it will work. If i had some ROM/firmware to go back to/to flash when everything goes wrong then i would have tried it already but if i try now and fail i've got a bricked tablet..

upthecreek101

Jan 3, 2011
And that is just the major issue i have. I've got what looks like a M701, feels like a M701 but isn't quite a M701. It is a clone/copy of a M701 from PandaWill who sell it as M701. So as you can imagine i'm hesistant to try something that drastic like installing CWM without knowing if it will work. If i had some ROM/firmware to go back to/to flash when everything goes wrong then i would have tried it already but if i try now and fail i've got a bricked tablet..

This is the same postion for me with a M701 type clone. Changing the firmware does carry the risk of bricking and without the fallback of a backup image or manufacturer supplied firware is not recommended. Maybe this is the price for buying a cheaper tablet but having said that I've had no problems with my clone and to date it provides everything I've needed.

If you do want to look into this further I would suggest contatctng one of the M701 expert posters on the dedicated Haipad M701 forum here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/groups/11-haipad-m701-m701-r.html

JiePieWie

Mar 29, 2011
TMaybe this is the price for buying a cheaper tablet but having said that I've had no problems with my clone and to date it provides everything I've needed.

If you do want to look into this further I would suggest contatctng one of the M701 expert posters on the dedicated Haipad M701 forum here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/groups/11-haipad-m701-m701-r.html
Same here. But on the other hand it would be very nice if we could upgrade to 2.3 or
at least 2.2. And i would like to make the icons smaller but lcdensity doesn't work. Regarding your remark about the dedicated forum: that's were i started with my questions but no-one can give me a solution. If only there was some sort of dump-like app or a surefire way to find out which hardware was in your tablet (including memorytpe, BT-stack etc).

upthecreek101

Jan 3, 2011
Same here. But on the other hand it would be very nice if we could upgrade to 2.3 or at least 2.2.

Yes but note that 2.2 for the M701 has only ever been released in Beta form and many people who have upgraded to this release have had problems with certain apps or functions and have reverted back to 2.1. The 2.3 release sounds much better but it has only been available for a few weeks. 2.3 is probably the last release for our hardware because I believe 3.0 will require a faster CPU and more memory.

So perhaps it best to be patient for a while and allow the experience on upgrading to 2.3 to evolve a bit further, especially for those with cloned tablets.

JiePieWie

Mar 29, 2011
So perhaps it best to be patient for a while and allow the experience on upgrading to 2.3 to evolve a bit further, especially for those with cloned tablets.
I'm not aiming for a 2.2 release. 2.3 sounds fine (even better) but then i *still* need a fallback firmware which i can flash if the upgrade goes wrong. Plus i want at lteast the current rom as some kind of backup which i can use if my current FW crashes or something. If there is a problem now i can't even flash the stock firmware...

upthecreek101

Jan 3, 2011
I'm not aiming for a 2.2 release. 2.3 sounds fine (even better) but then i *still* need a fallback firmware which i can flash if the upgrade goes wrong. Plus i want at lteast the current rom as some kind of backup which i can use if my current FW crashes or something. If there is a problem now i can't even flash the stock firmware...

None of the clone manufacturers or their distributors seem to provide copies of their installed firmwares. This is probably because it would become obvious that they were pirated copies from Haipad. My build details for 2.1 are reported identically to Haipad's apart from the version which is #188 rather than one of the Haipad numbers. But this would be something they could hack quite easily.

I think your only option to install CWM and use that to produce a backup of your installed image before flashing 2.3. I can't be certain as I haven't done it myself, but doing this shouldn't carry a risk of permanently bricking your tablet. If you look through the postings this forum, when people have got into trouble they usually are able to recover.
Good luck!

JiePieWie

Mar 29, 2011
We'll see. I'm also thinking about another way of tackling this issue. I want to build/use a Android Telechips virtual machine on my pc (if that's possible) and install the firmware on that to see what happens. Hopefully this is possible but i've only seen generic Android VM's and not a telechips version. I've also been in discussion with Pandawill about which firmware we can use on this pad Check it out here but i'm not getting very far.

Ah well, if i don't succeed it's time for a new tablet then :)