All Apps Crash Upon Opening Any Data Text Field For Keyboard Entry

Sudan

Jul 7, 2012
Hi, any body have thoughts on this problem:

Using any application that has a text type in field, as soon as I touch the text field in edit mode, whereupon the keyboard should appear, the application crashes instantly. The application crashes before the keyboard appears.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1, model GT-P5113 (wifi), using ice cream sandwich 4.0.4. I was using swype beta keyboard when problem started. So I deleted the keyboard app and tried using the stock samsung keyboard. Same crashing problem continues.

Also this bug started AFTER I installed an app from google play market. But for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. Is there way to see the chronological order in which market apps are installed onto the device?

Ideas?

Thanks,
Kelvin

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Thats interesting I would have suggested uninstalling the swype keyboard and then trying a different one. You might have to reset your tablet.

Hhsamsung

Aug 20, 2012
Hi Kelvin,

I have the same exact issue. Have you found a way to fix it yet? I restored the settings once and it worked buy lost everything. However the same problem came back a few days later. Appreciate any help on this thanks

Sudan

Jul 7, 2012
I did a factory reset and that fixed it perfectly. the problem has no re-occured. I don't keep data on it (all in cloud). and I keep track of all my installed apps. So I just had to do the reset and then reinstall apps, log into and sync my google accounts. Was easily done.

P.S. I still can't say for sure what caused the probelm. But I think it was the installation of an app. And I cann't remember what the app was, sorry.

Last edited:

DRONSICK

Sep 18, 2012
I have GT-P5110 and Android 4.0.3, I understand that main problem is the keyboard.
In my case the samsung keyboard crashes when I open any app. And this happened each week! I mean, I had to reset for each week.. :mad:, so, I fix it resetting my tablet and firstly installing app "Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard Free" from Play Store previously to install all the apps.
Until the moment has not crash any app.

Also, try to install some antivirus and try to never use the Samsung keyboard until there is an update from samsung or android.

Hope it works!

Hi Kelvin,

I have the same exact issue. Have you found a way to fix it yet? I restored the settings once and it worked buy lost everything. However the same problem came back a few days later. Appreciate any help on this thanks

donnellfms

Nov 12, 2012
Hi fellas.

I´ve been thru the same problem last week. I found a solution at XDA Dev Forum (thanks user wd5gnr).

It really was a problem with the embedded clipboard application from Samsung.

The good news are that you just need to clean the clipboard cache existing at /data/clipboard and the problem disappear.
The bad news (for some people at least) are that you must get your device rooted to get access to /data/clipboard folder.

So that your decision: do a factory reset every time this problem comes up (there’s a workaround using the "Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard Free", but I didn't tested) or get your device rooted. I've chosen the second one.

Let's get the hands on:

There are several ways to get your GT-P5100 rooted. I've followed this tutorial Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1 inch display) Model Numbers GT-P5100, GT-P5110 and GT-P5113, it worked like a charm.

Provided that your device is already rooted, you just need open your favorite file manager (I used ES Explorer), mount/get root RW access to your file system, navigate to the folder /data/clipboard, clear the content of this folder (you can perform backup of this data to another location prior deleting if you are afraid of lose some useful information) and reboot your device. Your keyboard should be working once again.

Mr. wd5gnr also suggests that you change the /data/clipboard folder permissions to prevent this problem to happen again.

For doing this download and install on your rooted device the Terminal Emulator (available at Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=pt_BR) then open it and enter the command lines as bellow:

su
chmod 775 /data/clipboard
chown system.system /data/clipboard

And reboot again.

Finished!

Regards.

Wisco

Nov 17, 2012
Hi fellas.

[...]

The good news are that you just need to clean the clipboard cache existing at /data/clipboard and the problem disappear.
The bad news (for some people at least) are that you must get your device rooted to get access to /data/clipboard folder.

Eh... Sometimes there's even worse news... After going through the process of rooting my device (GT-P5110, runnning Android 4.0.3), installing the terminal emulator and ES File Explorer, it appears that there is no /data/clipboard.... In fact the /data is completely empty!

Any one else seen this problem?

Regards,

Wisco

Wisco

Nov 17, 2012
Eh... Sometimes there's even worse news... After going through the process of rooting my device (GT-P5110, runnning Android 4.0.3), installing the terminal emulator and ES File Explorer, it appears that there is no /data/clipboard.... In fact the /data is completely empty!

Any one else seen this problem?

Regards,

Wisco

Apparently, I didn't set the root access, before checking the /data directory. After some trying I got it right. Still... At first it didn't work. I am not sure why (but for now I don't care too much :p).