Alternative to the Nexus 7

SynC_187

Jul 27, 2012
I have been looking at buying a Nexus 7 to use as a car head unit, but it is lacking in a few areas. The aim is to have GPS for sat nav, 3G (happy to use tethering or mi-fi, but internal would be good), and an external DAC for the audio. Would be mainly used for audio/navigation, but HD video would be played occasionally. The ability to add external storage would be a bonus. Although the Nexus is powerful, it seems I it won't support an external DAC and external storage (unless you root it).

Can anyone suggest an alternative 7 inch tablet running Android 4 or 4.1, around the same price and capable of doing everything I have listed please?

I'm not the most experienced Android user, but am in support and development, so enjoy the challenge!

Thanks!

mugglesquop

Jul 30, 2012
Last edited:

SynC_187

Jul 27, 2012
No, but it has the Allwinner A10. I will be mounting in the dash, so I may get a better GPS signal with an external one in the window. Bluetooth I can do without for what I need.

SynC_187

Jul 27, 2012
I don't know really. Once I found a tablet, I would look into what I could get working on it! I plan to fabricate the dash and mount it inside. The heater controls etc. will be close, so internal GPS might not get a good signal. I guess I wouldn't know until I tried, but as I can get an external one, not being too fussy about it!

That looks pretty good. Does anyone know how good they are for updates, support and does it support USB OTG and host?

Wilburnter

Jul 31, 2012
There are so many posibilities.
songht1.jpg
a79.jpg
song2.jpg
song16.jpg