Amazon's Kindle Fire Gets One-Click Root Access, 3rd Party App Install, & ADB Access

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
kindle-fire-root.png

Here is a little reminder that the new Amazon Kindle Fire officially shipped today, and even more importantly, it has already been rooted, and we have some instructions for side-loading 3rd party apps, and ADB usage!

Updated: Our original source for this story was right here in or Kindle Fire forums, death2all110. We want to give a shout out to him as a thank you for sharing this great info. Here's a quote from his post with adb & root instructions:
To get adb going you must already have the sdk on your machine and used it.

goto: %USERPROFILE%\.android and edit the adb_usb.ini and add this to the end of the file and save:
Code:

0x1949

then go into where you have the sdk at and open the google-usb_driver folder and edit android_winusb.inf and add this to the [Google.NTx86] section and [Google.NTamd64] section:
Code:

;Kindle Fire
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006&MI_01

save and close

If you have already plugged your kindle into the usb you may have to open device manager and find "Kindle" under other devices and choose the android_winusb.inf file.

Turn on Installation of apps from unknown sources: tap the top bar>choose more...(+)>device

open a command prompt and run adb kill-server then try adb devices..

you should see a device listed.

go here: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.2 (now with zergRush and su 3.0) - xda-developers

download and run SuperOneClick and choose the "root" option. let it go!

Enjoy!
Below is another list of instructions culled from several sources to give you an exhaustive source of info.

First, to install 3rd party apps, the process is pretty simple.
You just have to allow installation from unknown sources in Settings -> Device menu.
Second, the root instructions come courtesy of XDA Developers. Here is an instruction set to root the device:
SuperOneClick Root Instructions:

So I was messing around with different one clicks since I got ADB going on my kindle fire and I was able to Successfully use SuperOneClick 2.2 to root my kindle fire!

Sorry for the mess. Its late, and I wanted to type this up so I could crash…

To get adb going you must already have the sdk on your machine and used it.

goto: %USERPROFILE%\.android and edit the adb_usb.ini and add this to the end of the file and save:
Code:

0x1949

then go into where you have the sdk at and open the google-usb_driver folder and edit android_winusb.inf and add this to the [Google.NTx86] section and [Google.NTamd64] section:
Code:

;Kindle Fire
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006&MI_01

save and close

If you have already plugged your kindle into the usb you may have to open device manager and find “Kindle” under other devices and choose the android_winusb.inf file.

Turn on Installation of apps from unknown sources: tap the top bar>choose more…(+)>device

open a command prompt and run adb kill-server then try adb devices..

you should see a device listed.

go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show….php?t=803682a

download and run SuperOneClick and choose the “root” option. let it go!

Enjoy!
Finally, here is the breakdown of gaining ADB (Android Debug Bridge) access so you can dig deeper into your Android device to copy files, install apps, read logs, run shell commands, and more. Here's the instructions straight from our friends over at AndroidPolice,
You will need the Android SDK installed and then add the Vendor ID for Amazon's Lab126 (0x1949) to the adb_usb.ini file.

You can find detailed instructions for Windows here and for Mac here.

If you want to use ADB to install apps, be sure to allow installation from unknown sources as discussed above.
Now power-users and tweakers can play to their heart's content. At $199.99, this customizable little device is starting to look pretty appealing. What do you think?

Source: AndroidPolice, TalkAndroid, and XDA Developers

Last edited:

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
knew it would not take long to hack that thing. a buddy at work got his yesterday and brought in today. its heavier than i expected and i wasn't too impressed with it, but we did not have a wifi signal at work so i really could not do a lot with it. sure wish it had an hdmi out and an sd card slot

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Jerry, could you elaborate a bit on what did not impress you? The items you just mentioned above, or were there any usability or interface impressions that you did not care for?

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
should have played with it a bit more, but the main things that caught my attention was the interface (not standard Android but Amazons rendition), the weight, the glass screen had a lot of glare, the viewing angles were ok unless you tipped the top of it away from you which i think may be typical. it worked fine, was quick and responsive, but for me it just didnt live up to the hype, BUT i should hold final judgement until i get more time with one on wifi to test the Silk browser and other stuff like that

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Thanks. Looking forward to your further thoughts. I pre-ordered the Tablet as that seemed to fit my needs a bit better. Initial reviews of both yesterday seem to confirm the viewing impression that you had for the Fire, and what appears to be by contrast a nice viewing experience on the Tablet. Hope to find out about that very soon.

xhxz7672

Nov 20, 2011
Here is a little reminder that the new Amazon Kindle Fire officially shipped today, and even more importantly, it has already been rooted, and we have some instructions for side-loading 3rd party apps, and ADB usage!