An Inferior Android Device Is...

Natey2

May 25, 2012
You know you have an inferior Android device if:
(many of these issues had been posted by device owners)

A. It did not come with Google Play Store pre-installed by the device manufacturer. (This app ensures the Manufacturer did not stray too far from what Google intended Android to be like)
B. You keep seeing the error message: "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."
C. It reboots on its own, secretly, like many Android devices do. You can tell by monitoring the System Uptime counter to see if it got reset unexpectedly when you leave it on for an extended period of time (a couple of hundred hours).
D. You can't even load/play Angry Birds on your device.
E. Touch screen responds abnormally when the device is charging.
F. You need to flash a new ROM right after you get the device just to get the device to work properly.
G. Device heats up so much (during charging or use) that it is not comfortable to hold.
H. It is difficult to find out who the manufacturer of the device is.
I. When discovered, the manufacturer doesn't want to support your device anymore.
J. Device model number on the chasis is not the same as the model number in the firmware.
K. The device makes creaky sounds when you push on the touch screen.
L. There is a hair caught between the LCD and the protective glass glued on top of it, which you discovered as soon as you received your new device.
M. Power (or other) connector is loose.
N. The Netflix app doesn't work on your device.
O. Screen has spots that look wet. Check for bulging battery.
P. On starting the device, everything on the screen is in a language you do not understand.
Q. It says things like "Battery usage data not available".

(I may edit the above list)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Nice list Natey. Just wanted to bump this info back up where it has a better chance to be seen. Actually, it should be a Sticky. There are far too many no-name Android tablets out there with bad, little or no manuals or support.

ravenryuu

Dec 15, 2012
I'm reading this now after I got my Kyros :p The characteristics for my tablet (out of this list) that I've experienced so far are A, G, and K. It's tolerable though ;)

power5

Jan 4, 2013
My $50 Craig CMP741e only has A and K. I hope to root it so I can install GAPPS though. As for anything else on the list, it was $50. Battery life should be on that list though. Mine barely lasted 4 hours of wifi video streaming.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Got my hands on a Digix TAB730.
It has Android 4.0.4 and comes with Google Play pre-installed by the Manufacturer, but it still says "Battery usage data not available".
Is that an issue with all Android 4.0.x tablets? I don't think phones running Android 4.0.x have this problem.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Seeing "Battery usage data not available" in ICS is normal as Google removed most if not all detailed battery stats from Gingerbread and later. Install Better Battery Stats from the Play Store to restore the lost information.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I have native battery stats on my Nexus 7 running JB (Android 4.1.2)
It was available under Honeycomb (Android 3.x) on Asus tablets, and something broke when they got their ICS (Android 4.0) update for Asus.
I hear many device manufacturers didn't implement a proper interface to some kernel routine in ICS, and that is what is causing the error message.
Does anyone here have any device, phone or tablet, running Android 4.0.x, that shows native battery usage data?

Edit: HTC One S Smartphone has battery usage data available under ICS. Now there's a manufacturer who knows how ICS works and does proper integration with Android.

Last edited: