Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
Is it to early to ask if vtab will get ICS?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

skruid

Aug 23, 2011
I don't see why the vtab would not get it, I am betting it does get some icecream, atleast I hope it does

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
Another contributor in this forum said he opened a support session with Vizio tech support regarding when/if the vtab would get Honeycomb or if they were waiting on ICS. I believe he said that they "hinted" at bypassing Honeycomb for ICS. But with every Vizio statement regarding pre-released features and products, they couldn't/wouldn't offer much more information.

In my opinion, it only makes sense to bypass 3.0 due to the bugs and strict hardware requirements.

Lucas3

Oct 20, 2011
I spoke with Vizio cust rep tonight on issue with adhoc tethering and he brought up ice cream as soon as i mentioned Honeycomb. Im betting they go right to IC.

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
So, this could be done to the Vtab through a wi-fi upgrade? And would it affect the apps allready installed?

Oct 10, 2011
OK, I admit I am new to Android but my PC experience goes back to 8 bit machines and DOS command lines. One thing I learned over those many years is that if you upgrade your OS without upgrading your hardware (mainly processor and memory) you would be severely disappointed by lag and slower performance. Since tablets are not user hardware upgradeable I wonder if the same problems with OS upgrading will apply.

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
I was thinking the same thing. I doubt the h/w will support ics. I wouldn't hold my breath on this ever happening.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
From what I understand, ICS is supposed to be less dependent on beefy hardware, unlike Honeycomb which was only developed for dual-cpu tablets (no phones). I think most folks agree that Google's plan was a mistake to place restrictions on an OS that was meant to be open.

I think Google realized this and developed ICS to bring both tablets and phones back together in an attempt to address the argument that a lot of fragmentation exists within the Android world, unlike Apple.

telly

Oct 21, 2011
I'm not trolling here as I own a VTAB, but I don't think getting an OTA ICS upgrade will be that great. The inevitable VIA skin that will come with it will likely modify the function and feel in a negative way. What would be great is getting root and some custom ROM's to unlock this thing's potential.

jhaynes1230

Oct 7, 2011
From what I understand, ICS is supposed to be less dependent on beefy hardware, unlike Honeycomb which was only developed for dual-cpu tablets (no phones). I think most folks agree that Google's plan was a mistake to place restrictions on an OS that was meant to be open.

I think Google realized this and developed ICS to bring both tablets and phones back together in an attempt to address the argument that a lot of fragmentation exists within the Android world, unlike Apple.

@Sora72. Interesting perspective. I hope you're right. You make some good points.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
Including ICS (with or without Vizio's custom UI) as a consideration for an enhancement request to Vizio would be good.

If anyone (everyone) is interested in contributing to the Vizio Tablet Enhancement Request page I created on Facebook, that would be great. Any help communicating and organizing our requests for our tablets to Vizio would be awesome.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vizio-Tablet-Enhancement-Requests/207445145994957

Be sure to check it. The more people who contribute, the better we can get and keep Vizio engaged.

Tcsviz77

Sep 3, 2011
@sora72 thanks for creating the fb page I have also put a request in to vtab1008 owners to visit and like this page. I believe with this page (since vizio has already liked it) will make a difference. Again thank you.

Grug

Aug 15, 2011
OK, I admit I am new to Android but my PC experience goes back to 8 bit machines and DOS command lines. One thing I learned over those many years is that if you upgrade your OS without upgrading your hardware (mainly processor and memory) you would be severely disappointed by lag and slower performance. Since tablets are not user hardware upgradeable I wonder if the same problems with OS upgrading will apply.

This is no longer the case. Windows 7 works very well on older machines that used to have XP that were bought with 1 or 2 gig ram. Windows 8 is also expected to have the same hardware requirements which means you shouldnt need to upgrade heavily if at all. There is a similar trend with Android also as the OS is being better designed and will run on lower hardware. Ice Cream Sandwich is designed to be run on both phones and tablets, so I think that alot of tablets should still be able to handle it just fine.

Last edited:

Lucas3

Oct 20, 2011
Its amazing that Root is not available on this thing yet. Stinks can't wifi tether this Vizio with my rooted Droid Charge.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Looking to upgrade to ICS, avoiding Honeycomb