Android Market Blocking Rooted Devices?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I've been told that Google has started blocking rooted devices and previously available apps have changed to "not compatible". So far YouTube and Adobe Flash have been blocked. Is this true, and if so, why is Google being so hostile? I'd hate to think people with paid apps will try to update them and suddenly find they've been blocked too. It seems like the new Marketplace is not a friendly one. You'd think Google would be happy that Android tablets are popular. I realize that the current Android OS is designed for phones but it's not our fault Google has been dragging their feet about coming out with one for tablets.

I'm just concerned everyone whose been working hard on custom ROMs and rooting techniques and those of us with rooted devices are about to be left out in the cold.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Well I use the market all the time with my rooted device.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Same as Peter, haven't noticed any blocked apps yet. I'm able to update all my apps and I'm rooted.

jrizal

May 25, 2011
I'm not rooted but Google has blocked several apps such as Youtube, Yahoo, Pandora, Slacker, etc. even after a market fix. Reflashed my unit and even loaded the new market. The only consolation here is that you have other alternatives in installing software. So in reality it should be a major problem for most of us.