Android or tablet PC?

cbird01

Sep 14, 2011
I am hoping that I could get by with what I want to do with an Android device as Tablet PC's are out of my budget. I am planning to use a tablet to do data entry in the field along with some other functions:

Pre-requisite:

- Able to edit excel document
- Able to hold with one hand (never held one but I think 10" screen models would be too much - correct me if I am wrong)
- Able to play movie (just a tutorial to show to customers, nothing fancy)
- Priced under $250

Preferred:

- Sync docs to windows PC wirelessly (can just transfer with SD card if not)
- Print to a portable printer (can be in car)
- Able to fill out a fillable PDF (i think a couple android apps can do this)

Can I do this with any current Android devices? or am I going to have to go Tablet PC?

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I have an Acer A500 and purchased it to use for a few work related things. Those include spread sheets, database, email and so forth. I found that a keyboard was an absolute necessity for any long-term editing/typing, et cetera. If you plan on doing anything extensive, a laptop would probably be better. You can do Excel, but you will not get complete compatibility - i.e., no graphics, no spell check, and so forth. The same with Word documents - it just is not there. When I have extended typing to be done, I take my 17" laptop and go at it. The same work on the tablet takes much longer and is more error prone. As a note, this is typed using a Bluetooth keyboard. To conclude, it can be productive, but if you have lots to do, a laptop is so much better.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

cbird01

Sep 14, 2011
I have an Acer A500 and purchased it to use for a few work related things. Those include spread sheets, database, email and so forth. I found that a keyboard was an absolute necessity for any long-term editing/typing, et cetera. If you plan on doing anything extensive, a laptop would probably be better. You can do Excel, but you will not get complete compatibility - i.e., no graphics, no spell check, and so forth. The same with Word documents - it just is not there. When I have extended typing to be done, I take my 17" laptop and go at it. The same work on the tablet takes much longer and is more error prone. As a note, this is typed using a Bluetooth keyboard. To conclude, it can be productive, but if you have lots to do, a laptop is so much better.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Yeah, it definitely would be for filling in an excel form with data collected from the field. Although, I was going to have those fields that I populate be pulled into another sheet which will be a report template and print it. Do you think that would be possible? If not I would just do the report when I get back to office and email.

That would just make it so I can deliver a report before leaving a customer site

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
There really is no efficient way of printing directly from an Android device. What I do: I have an HP 410 that is wireless/Internet capable and the nice thing: HP supports the printing of email attachments. The spread sheet application is basic, no fancy things. with Drop Box you can store the files on their site and do what needs to be done by a lap/desk top computer. I have done data collection with the device (did so today also) and to be frank, the Evo does a better job.

alisagarner

Aug 1, 2011
I am looking to buy android tablet. I have seen acer A100, which has some what cheap price. Is it good enough to buy?

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

I am hoping that I could get by with what I want to do with an Android device as Tablet PC's are out of my budget. I am planning to use a tablet to do data entry in the field along with some other functions:

Pre-requisite:

- Able to edit excel document
- Able to hold with one hand (never held one but I think 10" screen models would be too much - correct me if I am wrong)
- Able to play movie (just a tutorial to show to customers, nothing fancy)
- Priced under $250

Preferred:

- Sync docs to windows PC wirelessly (can just transfer with SD card if not)
- Print to a portable printer (can be in car)
- Able to fill out a fillable PDF (i think a couple android apps can do this)

Can I do this with any current Android devices? or am I going to have to go Tablet PC?

Instead of a tablet PC, I would go with a netbook instead. those 9" asus ones are light enough to hold in one hand and type with the other. The keyboard, while small, is still big enough to actually do some decent typing on, and of course, it runs windows, so whatever you are used to already will work just fine.

carson1

Aug 24, 2011
I used to have a netbook but it was so slow it was painfull and I couldn't ause it and trashe it. I have a tablet now and it does what I need it to do. However if you are thinking of getting a tablet as a laptop replacement you will be dissapointed. I love my Thrive , but it is what it is.