Android Tablet App Size

youknowwho

Jan 29, 2013
Sorry for such a beginner question, but I never owned a tablet before thus I really dont know.

So how big is an HD app (like those that would look beautiful on the Nexus 10's screen) for android tablets? I know they are growing in size, but what would be a reasonable estimate of the app size in a few years (2 years?) from now?

I'm asking because I'm deciding between N10 16 GB and N10 36 GB.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Apps vary in size. I'd suggest you go to Amazon, and search for some apps you're interested in. There's a "Technical Details" section in the description of each app and it has the exact size of the app listed. Just click this link: Amazon.com: Appstore for Android I have no idea how app size might change in the future.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
It all depends on the app. Some games like Shadowgun THD are 750 MB, other games like Dead Trigger are only 130 MB. Then there are some that are 2-4 GB.

I guess it depends on how much gaming you are going to do. I have a 16 GB TF101, never had a space issue. Most normal (non-gaming or graphics intensive) apps are on the order of 10-100 MB.

If you plan on using it for lots of gaming, you may want to go for the 32 GB.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The average size of Android and iOs apps is about 40MB which is including large game apps. Many apps are much smaller than that. Using that as a guide, that means 1GB holds about 25 apps. Keep in mind the stated storage space is not what is usable after formatting and OS size are taken into consideration (16GB is about 11GB usable and 32GB is about 25GB usable).

Smartphone owners average 41 apps per device, according to a report from Nielsen. That works out to less than 2GB of apps per device on average. After apps that means you would have 9GB or 23GB usable space. There is no penalty for uninstalling the apps as your purchases are saved in the cloud and available for for reinstallation any time you need them. You can essentially horde apps in the cloud and get them as necessary if you want to free up space but are worried about losing old apps.

Also keep in mind the life cycle of a tablet and the ever shrinking expense of storage. In two years you will probably be ready for a tablet upgrade and by then 32/64 GB sized tablets will be common sizes at the current price of 16/32 GB tablets.

JP

youknowwho

Jan 29, 2013
Yea, I agree. I feel that I need to balance the spec of the tablet with future proofing it. I dont want to future proof my memory space but end up not getting to use it because my processor is out of date. I have a feeling that tablets (and electronics in general) arn't built to last anymore :(

Also, I feel that with either 16/32 GB I will eventually fill it up so the difference it makes is just how long do I have to wait until I have to delete stuff lol. If I have 9 GB left, I'll probably use it as 9GB of movies/TV shows for day to day commute and 6GB of photos + 3GB of movies when I go on trip. Likely will handle more movie streaming for my bus ride/flight via USB OTG lol. I also dont game so I dont think it would be a problem for me. Reasonable?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You sound very level headed and like you have a good plan.