Android Tablet Shipments Falter in Quarter One

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
kindle-triple.jpg

Android tablet shipments were weaker than expected during the fiscal quarter one of 2012. Of course, this was the same timeframe that the new iPad 3 was launched so some dip was to be expected. According to the latest IDC numbers, the best performing Android tablet was still the Amazon Kindle Fire although its shipments dropped from 17% of the computer market to just over 4%. Apple's share of the tablet shipments rose from 54.7 percent to 68 percent.

Here's a quote with a few more details,

Despite the gloomy results, IDC believes that Android tablets will make a comeback in the second quarter. Vendors such as Samsung and Lenovo have lined up even more affordable tablets, such as the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, to compete with the iPad, and Google is widely rumored to be doing the same.

While Android tablets may be floundering as a whole, they seem to be doing quite well in Southeast Asia. A recent GfK Asia report said that in 2011, almost two out of three tablets sold in six countries in this region--Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam--were using the Android operating system. And they are doing even better this year, with Android's market share rising to 70 percent in the first two months of 2012.

Source: CNET

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think its possible there just were not many new innovations in Android tablets in the first quarter and I have to wonder as to Android tablets being sold, maybe aside from the Kindle fire, if the market is driven as much by fanatics (like many people here) buying multiple tablets throughout the year as it is by new adopters. I'm sure Apple fans upgrade as well but that only happens once a year.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Lots of people waiting on nexus tab also.& other innovative tabs from china and elsewhere too. Once these show themselves there could be a big spike in sales.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
userbe1155 said:
Lots of people waiting on nexus tab also.& other innovative tabs from china and elsewhere too. Once these show themselves there could be a big spike in sales.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

I agree, I think current users are waiting for the next evolution in power and industry thinking seems to be that Android manufacturers just haven't hitten the right price point to get new users to adopt the platform. One thing is for sure, given the amazing number of manufacturers jumping into the market, recent reports of the death of Android as a tablet os are making those industry analysts look like they may simply be Apple stockholders.