android tablets using windows programs possible or not

Topman

Sep 13, 2011
hey, i wanted a tablet, but can android tablets run and install windows based programs? like the programs we install in windows pc ? such as file types : .exe

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
No, you cannot run and install windows based programs.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
No, you cannot run and install windows based programs.
I love to confuse this issue for people... currently, no. Is it possible? Yes, with the right software, for example, on Linux and Mac there's a free program called wine which allows you to run windows programs with a relatively high degree of success. Seeing how android is just another computer and Linux based on top of that, there's no reason an app like wine couldn't be made for android. Again, however, at this time, no, it is not possible to install and use windows programs.

Topman

Sep 13, 2011
man, that blows... but just like i expected.
will window based tablets be back in the market?
or is it all android tablets / phones now?

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
If it is that important for you to run MS apps, why don't you look into a windows based tablet? Or something that can dual boot?

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
man, that blows... but just like i expected.
will window based tablets be back in the market?
There are 'doze-based tablets on the market now. Can't imagine why anybody in their right mind would want such a thing, but to each his or her own, I guess.

Jim

Androidicus

Sep 4, 2011
The only other solution not mentioned yet is (if you own the ASUS Transformer tablet) to use ASUS's remote terminal app that allows users to control a Windows-based PC via the tablet. It can be used on both desktops and laptops, netbooks.

Of course, this is not what the OP wants, but it is a function worth mentioning since you would think other tablet makers (barring Apple) would integrate functionality like this to help promote Android as a very open and compatible OS.

Sent from my wwe10 using Android Tablet Forum

Topman

Sep 13, 2011
If it is that important for you to run MS apps, why don't you look into a windows based tablet? Or something that can dual boot?

i thought the market only has android based tablets now. :confused:
i had that idea of window based tablets, is i want to replace tablet with laptop, and instead of buying laptop + tablet.
since android tablets cant run lots of programs.

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
I know the WITSTECH devices can dual boot, but the support page says 'use at your own risk.'

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Yes, there are Windows tablets. Google "windows+tablet".
As far as I know, M$ has yet to fully enter the tablet market (they will next year). Are you confusing window tablet with those laptops with the swivel movitors and touchscreens? If so, then those are NOT the same as the tablets today. Those "tablet" laptops are full laptops in power, size and weight... which is why those never caught on.

In any case, tablets (such as android and apple) are not much of a production tool (YET)... So don't look to them to replace your full computer. If you try, you will be sorely disappointed, at least for now.

Topman

Sep 13, 2011
As far as I know, M$ has yet to fully enter the tablet market (they will next year). Are you confusing window tablet with those laptops with the swivel movitors and touchscreens? If so, then those are NOT the same as the tablets today. Those "tablet" laptops are full laptops in power, size and weight... which is why those never caught on.

In any case, tablets (such as android and apple) are not much of a production tool (YET)... So don't look to them to replace your full computer. If you try, you will be sorely disappointed, at least for now.

ya ur right about that, those tablets didn't go so well..
in the market now, these tablets are slim and portable more.

paulsam7

Aug 29, 2011

If you followed my suggestion to look it up in Google, you'd find several real TABLETS:
Acer Iconia Tab W500 (dockable keyboard available like the Asus Transformer), Viewsonic Viewpad 10, Archos 501679.
These tablets run Windows 7, which has touchscreen features included (check out videos of Microsoft Surface apps). Yes, Windows 7 isn't perfectly optimized for touchscreen (Windows 8 is supposed to fix that), but it does work (I'm using it on a Gateway One touchscreen desktop and an Asus convertible netbook.)

maxthunder

Sep 22, 2011
I've used the Citrix Receiver app to access a remote windows 7 environment.

But if you need frequent access to win apps, a windows OS device may be better for you.