Another newbie problem

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
I suspect that there will be a lot of these types of questions, and I want to assure everyone that I did look through all of the threads looking for the answer before posting.

I just received my GTablet and applied the viewsonic update to enable flash and everything seemed ok but I wanted to try another ROM and followed the instructions exactly to install clockworkmod and Vegan-Tab-v1.0.0b5.1.1 for the 6 objectives ( including 2.6.1,2,3 which says you can always go back to the stock rom). Everything went as predicted. I installed flash (10.1.120.1) and it seems to work (although with some differences prior to flashing the new rom). The problem is when I try to implement the market fix there was a problem

1) clicking the icon launches the market and immediately sends me back to the home screen, nothing happens

2) I can't complete objective 5.2 as the clear cache button is greyed out so it can't be selected

3) furthermore it appears that google services framework is not in the list of system applications. I thought this meant I had to download Gapps but it seems that this is already in the ROM. I have recommendations of reflashing the ROM but I can't find the specific instructions I depend on to do it.

After installing 5.1.1 there are three folders in the root diredctory for sd card (android/DCIM/LOST.dir) and update.zip. So the question's are

1) how would I go about going back to stock based on objective 2.6.1,.. or
2) is there a way to fix the market in this situation ?

I am sorry if this was covered in another thread, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
I very much appreciate the time and effort you have put in, I will go back and try to get a better handle on it.

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
Please read the stickies. We have worked hard to make the information easy to find.

You need to go back to the previous OTA. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...are-mountain-laurel-rom-some-basic-steps.html

Then you will be able" to install the ROMs.

At the risk of further exposing my ignorance, I read the link you provided and in step one it says " If you don't have the 4349 build on your gTAB, do not continue." In settings/about tablet the model number is listed as VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 and tap UI version as unknown so I was unsure how to proceed.

Thanks, again, for the prompt reply

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
. . . I just received my GTablet and applied the viewsonic update to enable flash and everything seemed ok but I wanted to try another ROM and followed the instructions exactly to install clockworkmod and Vegan-Tab-v1.0.0b5.1.1 . . . /QUOTE]

It appeared that you have not checked the stock firmware version prior to applying Vegan (PLEASE READ - WARNING on released vendor build 4349 - xda-developers).

Since your tablet partially works with Vegan, I'd assume that your firmware was at 3588 prior to updating Vegan. I'd would either re-flash the Vegan, or better yet, try this Calkulin+Clemsyn OC/UV kernel (1.5 ghz) Froyo Combo NFS enabled VERSION 4 is up! - xda-developers. The installation is very simple:

1. Download Calkulin's Format all zip and use CWM to install it.
2. Go to Advance, and Clear Dalvik-cache
3. Then install Clem_Caulkin4.zip

If you experience short battery life, then apply this new kernel xda-developers
Ref: [KERNEL] Clemsyn Version 10 UnderVolted Only (1.0 ghz) FROYO/Gingerbread - xda-developers

Dave

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
. . . I just received my GTablet and applied the viewsonic update to enable flash and everything seemed ok but I wanted to try another ROM and followed the instructions exactly to install clockworkmod and Vegan-Tab-v1.0.0b5.1.1 . . . /QUOTE]

It appeared that you have not checked the stock firmware version prior to applying Vegan (PLEASE READ - WARNING on released vendor build 4349 - xda-developers).

Since your tablet partially works with Vegan, I'd assume that your firmware was at 3588 prior to updating Vegan. I'd would either re-flash the Vegan, or better yet, try this Calkulin+Clemsyn OC/UV kernel (1.5 ghz) Froyo Combo NFS enabled VERSION 4 is up! - xda-developers. The installation is very simple:

Dave

Dave,
Thank you for the reply, it does appear that I neglected to check the firmware before installing the OTA. But since this was associated with a warning (that I ignored) I am reticent to try reflashing it again.

I really appreciate the time you spent making the Rom and even though you think it is my best choice, I was hoping to go back to the stock ROM as a clean slate so that I can read and learn more so that I have a better understanding of what I am doing. I thought that in the detailed instructions it said you could go back to the stock rom but I am unclear as to how. Once I get more comfortable with it I might try flashing it at a later date.

Again thanks

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Sandy, if you want to go back to the stock rom, then read this thread carefully GTab recovery firmware (homebrew and official Viewsonic 1.0.1 & 1.1-based versions) - xda-developers.
You need TnT 1.1-3588 recovery ROM, dated 01/24 and supplied by Viewsonic / TnT. Link: http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/...-3588-user.zip
md5sum: 0f07d710728640ea1e0f4a5d6d3fa72c.
Follow instruction <5> in post 1 and post 3-4.

That was the simplest method.

If that failed, follow this [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers. This valuable method is a MUST have in case of trouble of bad flashing or other reasons.

Dave

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
Dave,
If everything goes well and I am fortunate enough to not have to use nvflash once the 3588 rom is installed will this limit what I can do as an upgrade later ? I suspect that I would be able to correctly install Vegan-Tab from the 3588 ( which is what I wanted to do initially) but will I be able to update to the ROM that came out over the air ? My impression ( after reading the thread) is that it can't be done by an OTA update but is it possible to do another way ?

I would really like to have a plan set out rather than simply trying stuff that I really do not understand.

Sandy

sandyb

Apr 19, 2011
Dave,
Thanks for all the help, after a while of trying to figure out how notepad ++ worked it seems that all is well and I did not have to use nvflash. If anyone reading feels overwhelmed if you go slow and heed the advice it is doable, I am a testament to that.

The problem is that I think I might now know enough to do some real damage.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
. . .I would really like to have a plan set out rather than simply trying stuff that I really do not understand. . . Sandy

This is exactly what we all must do. Set a goal, plan the path, or paths, with full back-up and back-out in case of problems.

. . .The problem is that I think I might now know enough to do some real damage. . . Sandy

Very true ! We all are. This may include many dev's themselves. Therefore, the one that deserves the most respect is Robeet. His passion and people oriented has no equal.

Anyway, congratulations to you for passing the first hurdle. But don't forget to practice nvflash, adb or terminal emulator. They are valuable tools. Someday, one of them may save the day.

Dave