Any printer recommendations?

Gangrel

Dec 9, 2010
I need to buy a wireless printer for my PC, so I want to get one that I can also use with my Asus Transformer. Ideally, something that has support for printing documents if possible. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Thanks, and best to all,
Mike

craigerd2

Nov 5, 2011
Look up google cloud print. Works great for me but does require a pc so it's not for everyone.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
So if I have a wireless printer and the driver is installed on the pc, I can print from the tablet?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Gangrel

Dec 9, 2010
So if I have a wireless printer and the driver is installed on the pc, I can print from the tablet?

No, as I understand it, you need a Windows driver for your PC then an Android app for the tablet. I just want to find a printer that will work for both.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011

You have to install Printer Share on your Sony and try it, it might work or check the app, it gives you a long list of the compatible printers...if yours is on the list, it will work. If you have an HP printer, install from the market: HP ePrint Home & Biz.
Both apps are free!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
For 13 bucks they should at least tell you what printers it works with before you buy it.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If you have computer that can run Google Chrome that will be on all the time, you can use any printer through Cloud Print in the Chrome browser. Grab the "Cloud Print" app and enter your google credentials. You can print from anywhere on the internet, not just from home. Keep in mind that all of your print jobs go to the cloud.

Other options: Some printer OEM's have apps (Brother, Kodak, and I beleive Epson) and you can use these apps to print to their specific printers via WiFi.

You can also check out PrintBot. This can connect to a lot of printers, but the newest models are not always supported. The printer has to be on the network (WiFi, LAN or shared from a computer). You will have to be on the network to print using this one.

Another caveat - not all apps support printing (which is under the share menu). If I recall the "Email" app on the Transformer does not allow printing.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011

If you have Cloud Print enabled on the PC through Chrome, you do not need to worry about drivers on the tablet, just get the Cloud Print app.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
For 13 bucks they should at least tell you what printers it works with before you buy it.

When I installed the free app way back, they had a list of the printers one could use with it.You can always go on their Web site to check the list.

Gangrel

Dec 9, 2010
To return ti the original post, if I want to avoid Google Cloud does anyone have any printing suggestions?

liv2scoot

Aug 21, 2011
Your best bet is Hp. Hp does a good job at supplying drivers for most everything.

I recently bought the deskjet all in one 4500 wireless and it was plug and play in linux.

I just set it up on my thrive with PrinterShare (included) and it works well but I think printershare is a trial.

The hp app should work.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
To return ti the original post, if I want to avoid Google Cloud does anyone have any printing suggestions?

I had already suggested Print Bot which offers lots of printer drivers for many network printers and does not involve the cloud.

Beyond that, HP, Epson, Brother and Kodak have printer apps. Not sure what models are supported, but you can grab the apps and see.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I keep the pc on because of Polkast, which is a cloud type app. Thanks!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I bought an HP as well and I made it work on my nook color and on my galaxy note installing the HP Print Home& Biz, that's the name of their app.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I gave the HP ePrint application a try on my Icona and it worked with my HP wireless printer.