Anyone having problems with wifi on Transformer Prime?

Bigdog72

Jan 9, 2012
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one affected by the same issue. All my other devices were getting download speeds of 15mbps or greater, yet the Prime was getting only 1Mbps download speeds. It's true that if I sat closer to the router that I could achieve 25Mbps, but I often surf the web and YouTube in my bedroom where I get very slow download tput. I really wanted to like the Prime, but ended up sadly returning it to Best Buy to get an Ipad2. So yes, I do believe on some units the wifi issue is real. I'll try to get another Prime, hopefully when the issue is resolved.

xxbeastxx420

Dec 24, 2011
I heard of this problem before it came out it seems they rushed the release you should call asus

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

Gryphster

Feb 11, 2012
Got my prime 3 days ago and I'm having the same problems. I'm using an older D-Link DIR-601 router which works perfectly with my MacBook Pro. Connection is fair (2 bars) during the day, but drops off at night and I lose the connection entirely at about 35 ft. from the router. I could fix this easily enough at home, but don't know what'll happen at wifi hot spots. One explanation for the poor performance is that the metal back interferes with reception. I'll try the latest software fix, but have a feeling I'm going to end up returning this. Apparently the 700 model will have a plastic back to remedy the problem even though ASUS denies there's a problem

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
I sent my Prime to ASUS for repair almost 3 weeks ago. They tell me they are waiting for parts. In the meantime I purchased the new Acer A200 tablet. A few days later I found out the the local Staples had the ASUS Prime in stock so I bought a second Prime hoping that I would have better luck. Well the only improvement is that the new Prime can connect to satellites. My first Prime would not connect to satellites at all. Even though the new Prime can connect to satellites outside, it takes a very long time to do so. The Acer finds satellites in seconds, the Prime in minutes. The wifi range on the new Prime is just as bad as the first one. I took the following pictures of the Acer and ASUS in my bedroom which is 2 floors above my basement office where my router is located. Note the speed of the ASUS is 4.12Mbps and the Acer is 15.46Mbps. Also note that the Acer found 6 satellites inside in my bedroom near a window and the ASUS found none and. I ran that GPS app for at least 5 minutes. Those are very big differences between the 2 tablets. Minus the wifi/GPS issues I really prefer the ASUS but I will probably keep the Acer until another quad-core tablet is available and get rid of the 2 Primes.
$speedtest.JPG$satellites.JPG

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
There was a rumour, before the Prime was released, that it would be delayed due to wifi troubles. Hopefully this is a firmware problem and Asus can solve it soon.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum​

I mentioned that point in another forum. There was in fact a rumor that the release of the Prime would be delayed until sometime in 2012 because of wifi and GPS issues. ASUS denied the rumors and shipped the Primes starting the 19th of December. Well at least half of the rumor was true. The release was not delayed but there is a problem with the wifi and GPS among other issues. The wifi/GPS issue is not a problem that can totally be resolved with software upgrades. It's a hardware issue with the all metal back and pogo pins not connecting solidly. That's why the next version of the Prime has plastic on the back in the area of the antennas.

krislaughs

Feb 15, 2012
My understanding is that all the (wonderful) aluminum in the case impedes both wifi and gps signals. So far, I've only used mine in my (small) apartment, and it works well. That said, I don't even get full 4/4 bars on my wifi when I'm standing over the router, so I don't have high hopes for greater distances.

zengrits

Nov 3, 2011
My Prime has weaker WiFi reception than my Acer a500 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I'm using them at an extreme distance - maybe 100 feet from a Linksys e4200 router. My conclusion is based on watching - or attempting to watch - online movies and TV shows. The Acer and Samsung play videos reliably with one or two bars. The Prime is less reliable. Videos on my Kindle Fire are out of the question since a recent upgrade that I thought was supposed to improve WiFi performance. It had been as reliable as the Samsung and Acer.

swannranch

Feb 21, 2012
my connection is not a problem, but everytime it goes to sleep...when I wake it, I have to reset the wifi. actually have to turn it off and back on. my daughters acer had the same problem so it must be an android problem.

andyinjessup

Feb 21, 2012
Hey there,

I have also had problems with the Transformer Prime WIFI. This was my first tablet and I loved it but it was so frustrating not being able to connect to my WIFI. I cannot get a signal unless I am in the same room with the router. I have tried every suggestion I could find and none of them worked. I sent my TF201 back yesterday. I am hoping Asus will fix the problem with the next release. I understand that they are redesigning the back of the tablet and adding a better RF antenna. I have no problem with WIFI on my Dell laptop, B&N Nook or on my Droid X phone.