App limit?

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
So, I bought the SGT from T-Mobile, and there is 3 pages worth of apps installed, already. At least half of which I will never use. I cannot uninstall these apps. I've added 2 pages worth (pages as in when you click on applications, not pages as in desktop pages) of apps since I got it. Now that the 5th page is filled, every time I download a new app, it downloads, then doesn't install. There is no error message or anything. If I remove an app (a 3rd party one I've installed, as none of the crap T-Mobile put on there will come off), the new app will install just fine.

My questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong, or is there a 5 page limit to the number of apps that can be installed?
2) How can I get all the excess T-Mobile crap off my tab?

For clarification, there are 4 columns and 5 rows per "page", so 20 apps per "page", that means there are 100 apps on the GST when it stops installing new ones. I'm estimating there are 30 apps that I will never use that were installed by T-Mobile that I would like to get rid of, but can't.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
So, I bought the SGT from T-Mobile, and there is 3 pages worth of apps installed, already. At least half of which I will never use. I cannot uninstall these apps. I've added 2 pages worth (pages as in when you click on applications, not pages as in desktop pages) of apps since I got it. Now that the 5th page is filled, every time I download a new app, it downloads, then doesn't install. There is no error message or anything. If I remove an app (a 3rd party one I've installed, as none of the crap T-Mobile put on there will come off), the new app will install just fine.

My questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong, or is there a 5 page limit to the number of apps that can be installed?
2) How can I get all the excess T-Mobile crap off my tab?

For clarification, there are 4 columns and 5 rows per "page", so 20 apps per "page", that means there are 100 apps on the GST when it stops installing new ones. I'm estimating there are 30 apps that I will never use that were installed by T-Mobile that I would like to get rid of, but can't.

The app limit is based on memory not no. of apps/pages because each app has a different memory footprint and therefore they each consume differing amounts of your tab's fixed internal memory dedicated to apps. You need to check your internal storage memory remaining using the tab's settings menu to determine whether you have exceeded the memory limit for apps or check your notification bar (pull down from top of your tab's screen) to see if you are getting a low memory warning. To free up memory you can uninstall apps you no longer use or transfer some apps to run off your SD card (only a subset of apps are written to be compatible with Android 2.2's built-in capability to run apps off SD). Also some users have recently been reporting quirky market behavior (failed app downloads and/or installs) possibly due to a buggy market app update so that could be the problem instead. Especially if your tab's notification bar is NOT giving you a memory warning. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-P100

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
Yeah, no memory warnings, and 1.54 GB of memory left internally. So, it must be the marketplace and a coinkidink that it would install after removing an app.

Any clue how to get the T-Mobile crap off the tab? I've looked into installing a new ROM, but I can't find any that are stable for the GST.

qmanager

Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, no memory warnings, and 1.54 GB of memory left internally. So, it must be the marketplace and a coinkidink that it would install after removing an app.

Any clue how to get the T-Mobile crap off the tab? I've looked into installing a new ROM, but I can't find any that are stable for the GST.

You need a custom ROM with "root" privileges, I think, then you will have a lot of useful functions, in that number possibility to uninstall any preinstalled stock app. Regarding the fact that you do not see newly installed apps - use search button, type an application name and (if it actually was installed but not shown) you will see it and can run it from search results. My recommendation is to install Launcher Pro instead of stock launcher - it does not have these pages and has no limitations to show all installed apps. For new ROM you can go to MoDaCo web site, they are pretty good in that.

OniKyanAE86

Mar 19, 2011
There is a limit of 123 apps that can be moved onto SD Card, found that out the other day...... something about the limitations of Froyo.

elitecmdr666

Apr 2, 2011
I think there is some sort of limit as to how many apps one can have for stock phones or tablets. The only way around this rooting a device, my DROID X is rooted and i have tons of apps. Now on my tablet the trick i did to get more apps on my desktop was... There are launchers on the market...i my self use ADW Launcher or the EX version which lets u add up to 7 screens i believe not only that you can also resize ur app drawer and resize the apps on the desktop and also resize the amount of rows and columns on the desktop. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I800 VZW Galaxy Tablet using Android Tablet Forums

Last edited:

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
Well, this problem went entirely away when I installed the MoDaCo ROM on my tablet.

Oddly enough, when I try to install the "stable" VooDoo ROM, it bricks my tablet (it'll only boot to download mode at that point). I had to re-install the original ROM, then re-install MoDaCo's ROM (in that order) to get it working, again.

piercer

May 2, 2011
You have to root your tab to be able to uninstall the packaged applications that came with it. I have as much applications as you have but I do not get the same problem when installing new ones. Mind you, the limit does not lie on the number of applications but on the file sizes. I have mine set with 2GB worth of apps but I can easily transfer them to the micro sd in case I run out of space, which has not happened yet.