App that lets you delete "rooted" files?

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
Is there an app out there that will allow you to delete stuff off the system partition, like .apk files.
I don't want to root my tablet, but I want to get rid of useless files...

I'll root it if I have to, but as you can tell, I'm doing everything I can to avoid it... :D

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Unless you really know what you are doing, do not do that. Again don't try it. And one more time, it is a very bad idea.

That being said, you have been warned that what you are thinking about will likely brick your tablet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I really just want to get rid of files I've downloaded that I installed and tried, and then uninstalled. the .apk files stayed on my unit. Is there a way to get rid of just those then.
I'm am pretty careful not to delete stuff I don't know exactly what it is. I've worked with Solaris and Linux for years, and even in my early days, locked up a few by deleting files I did not know what they are... so I've learn my lesson a long time ago on that stuff.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
The problem with what you are asking is that some of these files are essential for the system to function correctly. Like it was stated before, if you continue to go on this path you at probably going on the fast track to owning a fancy brick for a tablet. I will stay away from the system files if I were you.

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I do plan to stay away from the system files. It's the files I've downloaded that I want to get rid it. Like for example "Lets Bowl Deluxe". It would not run on my tab, so I uninstalled it, but the .apk file is still there. I'm sure deleting that file won't crash the system. Maybe it will, but I can't run it so why keep the .apk?

Maybe my terminology is not correct. The files were downloaded automatically to what I call the system partition because it did not download to the Nand or the external SD Card. Maybe it's call the internal storage space, not the system partition. It seems that files downloaded from Amazon were the one that are stuck there.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just use what little space this thing has efficiently. I have not even decided to root it yet. I appreciate your concern. I'm not saying I'm going to disregard it, I'm just trying to see if I can accomplish what I want without rooting it. If I was going to go into this without thinking it through I would have rooted it when I bought it, but I know what can happen when you have too much access a system. That's why when I was still working, I'd have a user level user that I used for everyday use, and had admin level for when I had to administer the systems. This way I did not blow anything up by accident.

Last edited:

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
Thanks for telling me about Astro.
It appears I can delete those files. The presentation in the other file manager that came with it did not make sense to me, so I probably could have deleted them all the time.
I just did not know it. Astro makes much more sense and allowed me to do what I wanted.

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I see where the confusion is. It is the title of the thread.

Should be rather than rooted files, should be files on the main partition.