Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak Says Android is Ahead of Apple In Many Ways

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
steve-wozniak-android.jpg

It's refreshing to see this kind of open opinion from someone as well respected in the tech industry as Steve Wozniak. Recently, "the Woz" made some fairly surprising statements about Android in relation to the Apple iPhone. Overall, Wozniak believes that the iPhone is still the best smartphone; however, he did indicate that in many ways Android has leapt ahead of iOS. He said, “My primary phone is the iPhone. I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do.” He further indicated that voice commands work better on Android, and that Android’s built-in navigation system, using GPS systems is another advantage. Wozniak also said in reference to Android, "if you’re willing to do the work to understand it a little bit, well I hate to say it, but there’s more available in some ways.”

Not too long ago, Wozniak appeared at the Google offices to get his own pre-release version of the Galaxy Nexus and have his picture taken with some of the Googlers. Interestingly, he doesn't actually like the Galaxy Nexus that much and instead prefers his Droid RAZR. What a lot of people don't necessarily know about the Woz is that he is long time friends with Andy Rubin, and that he harbors zero resentment or ill will toward Android. In fact, Wozniak was on the board of Danger, Rubin’s previous company, Danger, the makers of the Sidekick smartphone. Wozniak commented, “I’ve known Andy a long time, and I respect him a lot."

Additionally, in reference to the way the growth of Android vs. iOS is very similar to what happened between Microsoft and Apple in the eighties and nineties, Wozniak had this to say, "I can see the similarity." In fact, he makes note that this time it could be worse for Apple because they are up against a stronger competitor. This is because he never felt that Windows was a very good product, but he added, “There’s not as big a difference [between iOS and Android] as there was between Mac and Windows." He also shared that it took a while to get good programs for Windows in the past, but with Android that is not the case. He elaborated that Android may actually have an edge with apps in the future, since it is much easier for developers to crank out apps quickly.

Finally, another reason he makes the case that Apple should pay attention is that there are certain things that work better on Android now. He said, “I have a lower success rate with Siri than I do with the voice built into the Android, and that bothers me,” said Woz. “I’ll be saying, over and over again in my car, ‘Call the Lark Creek Steak House,’ and I can’t get it done. Then I pick up my Android, say the same thing, and it’s done. Plus I get navigation. Android is way ahead on that.”

Amazing stuff to hear coming from someone many people consider to be one of the pioneers of the culture of Apple.

Source: TheDailyBeast

bungholio

Jan 9, 2012
Agreed. Apple does nothing but draw in Dallas that want the mist expensive thing out there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Tablet Forum