Apple Patents the Wedge Design

cereal_killer

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2011
apple wedge.jpeg

The title of this article is not a misprint. The US patent office has given Apple claim of the ornamental design for an electronic device, as shown and described above. So every ultrabook, tablet, laptop and cellphone manufacturer now needs to tread very carefully because Apple didn´t specify anything more than what you see above. They didn't just specify a tablet or cellphone design either, so if you put any electronics in a wedge form, you will unleash Apple's Army of p̶a̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ lawyers.

Shocked? So are we. Apple is clearly taking advantage of a broken system. Patenting ornamental designs should be off limits, because it not only destroys innovation, it's simply ludicrous. Imagine if Ford was allowed to patent rear spoilers on automobiles and won? That is exactly what happened here. The examples can go on and on, but the fact remains that this patent has just killed innovation in the mobile and tablet space. We have the US Patent Office to thank for this one. Love or hate Apple, this latest win is a prime example of how cut throat they really are by actively taking advantage of a flawed system.

Do you think design patents should be outlawed all together, or is it in fact Apple's right to be able to patent an ornamental design?

Via: Google +

Last edited by a moderator:

lt4mula

Jul 5, 2012
I hate to say it but this is much worse then Ford patenting the spoiler. It is closer to Ford patenting the shape of a pickup truck, or that the windshield has a slope. It is a part of the engineering of a device. Not just a piece of flair.

Honestly, I do not want to sound like a conspiracy theory guy, but we all know how asinine this Apple patent, and many others are. I would not be shocked if someone at the patent office is making a exorbitant amount of money from Apple.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't understand how the USPTO even let that pass. Totally nuts. The patent office is partly to blame n this one.

combat_chuck

Jun 19, 2012
Again, my number 1 question is how apple gets these patents in the first place?! They are not the first ones to have something wedge shaped! Regardless of it being reasonable or a good idea.

Google should fight back by getting patents on every color they can come up with

learner

Jan 28, 2012
This is absolutely astounding !!! This surely could not stand up to a PATENT DISPUTE. This is a corporation clutching at straws.

bklynbozs

Jul 6, 2012
I have had 3 mimi mac sitting in my office for six months not being used finally went to the bs genus bar for help told that I had 15 days to sign up for one on one and pay 99 buvks now cannot get one on one. So I told my it guy waste of 4.5 grand for for privilefge to line apples pockets. These genus guys are real smucks. Waiste of money and time. The profit they make is breathtaking.

bklynbozs

Jul 6, 2012
So much for a real responsible company. Jobs was an arrogant selfish guy. Whatfoundation did he create and what was his accomplishments other than making enourmous profit. The graphical ui was stolen from xerox, theydo not make anything in us except now samsung is building plant in texas to mfg apple components.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Farmers growing Apples should sue Apple for:
1. using the name of their beloved fruit without written consent, and
2. defaming the name "Apple" we all once knew to be good when we were kids.

kethan

Dec 20, 2010
Farmers growing Apples should sue Apple for:
1. using the name of their beloved fruit without written consent, and
2. defaming the name "Apple" we all once knew to be good when we were kids.

Wow wonderful thought lol

Sent from my HTC HD7 Pro/+ using Tapatalk 2