Apple Unveils iPad Mini, Starting at $329

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
applemini.jpg

Just found this news item, courtesy of CNN. Partial quote below:

Apple unveils iPad Mini, starting at $329
San Jose, California (CNN) --

Taking a cue from some of its competitors, Apple on Tuesday announced a smaller version of its popular iPad tablet -- the iPad Mini. And the company that introduced the concept of tablet computers to millions didn't waste any time bashing those competitor in the process.

"Others have tried to make tablets smaller than the iPad and they've failed miserably," said Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller. "These are not great experiences."

At a media event, he unveiled the 7.9-inch tablet, which is 7.2 millimeters wide (the width of a pencil, Schiller said) and weighs less than 7/10ths of a pound.

It will have the same display-resolution specs as last year's iPad 2, not the high-definition "retina display" of the newest iPad, which also got an update on Tuesday.

The iPad Mini's display will be nearly an inch bigger than those of competitors like Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's Nexus 7. It will also be somewhat more expensive.

The smaller iPad will start at $329 for a 16GB, Wi-Fi only version, ranging up to $659 for a 64GB model with cellular capability. Those prices are at the high end of what analysts had predicted. The new Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7 sell for $199.

Pre-orders for the Wi-Fi-only device begin Friday, and the iPad Mini will go on sale in stores November 2. Models that have Wi-Fi and can connect over cellular networks will go on sale in a few weeks.

The device's screen has the same proportions as the larger iPads, meaning that apps designed for the tablet should also look good on the Mini. Apple promises 10 hours of battery life, and the Mini will have front- and rear-facing cameras like its bigger cousins. It also will have the "lightning" connector that came new on the iPhone 5 and new iPods.

"This isn't just a shrunken-down iPad," Schiller said. "It's an entirely new design."

...The Full Article is located HERE.

Interesting. :)

And here's a nice picture of the new Mini iPad :

hero600p.jpg

Good points :

- the new Mini is also a 3:4 aspect ratio, a format that we enjoy with our LPs. I think 3:4 is a better format for general reading - web pages, eBooks, etc, look better in that screen, imo.

- the Mini's screen has the same resolution as the iPad 2, which is still for sale, at just a little more money ($399 for the entry model).

- the Mini is also larger in size, at 7.9 inches, than the competitor's Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. Since 7"is a pretty small for reading, I think that is a good thing.

Will this new tablet sell well? Will it take market share from the strong Nexus 7 (best selling tablet ever in many online retailers), or the Kindle Fire?

Apple's cocky attitude is transparent when the presenter states :

"Others have tried to make tablets smaller than the iPad and they've failed miserably," said Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller. "These are not great experiences."

Another good photo :

ipadminilandscap.jpg

And the Apple sit itself has good pages with lots of info on it HERE.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Great info, and thanks but I have to say this device just kind of makes me want to yawn.

tallmike00

Aug 30, 2012

He could not have seen the Samsung Tab 7.7 with the super AMOLED screen which is right there with the latest Ipad's Retina display. Oh well. And my 7.7 has functionality which this new downsized Ipad will not. My 7.7 will make phone calls, for one. I don't hold it up to my ear... that's a bit silly. But as a speaker phone, it works quite well.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
tallmike, agreed, that was a completely silly statement by the Apple VP.

Makes you wonder what else in his speech is Marketing Speak run amok. :p

They might have discounted the really cheap, no name Chinese 7"models, they might have discounted the beautifuly built but oh-it's-not-Android RIM Playbook. But What about the Google Nexus? Kindle Fire? The Samsung model you own?

All have quality, and offer different functionality at different price levels. The Nexus has been selling extremely well, to be expected considering it's specs, build quality, the companies backing it (Asus and Google) - and the sale price.

tallmike00

Aug 30, 2012
tallmike, agreed, that was a completely silly statement by the Apple VP.

Makes you wonder what else in his speech is Marketing Speak run amok. :p

They might have discounted the really cheap, no name Chinese 7"models, they might have discounted the beautifuly built but oh-it's-not-Android RIM Playbook. But What about the Google Nexus? Kindle Fire? The Samsung model you own?

All have quality, and offer different functionality at different price levels. The Nexus has been selling extremely well, to be expected considering it's specs, build quality, the companies backing it (Asus and Google) - and the sale price.

We agree completely. I did consider the Nexus 7 but, oh... those reviews on the Sammie 7.7 really swayed me. Yes, it did cost more. But, I'm not disappointed. My grown up kids have Nooks and I knew their functionality. In fact, my daughter and I had a discussion about the Google Nexus 7 and Google's attempt to keep things sort of constrained, similar to what Apple does. I chose the unlocked international version (GSM) 7.7 and am pleased. I will say that my Nexus phone has a better camera in it than the 7.7 but it's not a show stopper. I carry my Nexus phone in my pocket. My two Androids share pictures, no problem.

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
The new iPad mini - IMHO - is uninspiring to say the least.

Of course diehard Apple fans will proclaim it the best thing since sliced bread & buy them by the truckload.

Then you have the price - $329 for 16GB with no GPS. I think Apple should share what they are smoking with the rest of us!

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Musing

Aug 27, 2012
Certainly not worth the $329 asking price compared to Nexus 7.

"SCREEN: The Nexus 7 boasts higher resolution in a smaller overall package than the iPad mini - 1280x800 in 7 inches, compared to 1024x768 in 7.9 inches - giving it superior pixel density and a sharper picture. Apple opted not to include its Retina display technology in the new device for compatibility reasons - since apps written for other iPad versions are all designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio, they would have to be retooled for differently proportioned screens."

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
I like the 3:4 aspect ratio, it's the same as I have on my Le Pan 1 tablet, the Thinkpad. and it works well for reading ebooks, webpages, etc. I think the 16:9 displays are great for watching video, if they are wide screen format, you are already in that format; no cropping of black bars.

The pricing is indeed atrocious, for fan-boys certainly. Apple has got a cult following, and their pricing shows they know they can get sales at this price.

It's funny how the Evil Empire of the 90s (Microsoft) has been humbled so much, always seemed impossible they would fall from their dominant spot. Apple is now the new bully, suing everyone to try and preserve a highly profitable product line.

twistet

Oct 25, 2012
Apple was always crazy with prices of theire devices... 329$ is just sick when you can get netter Nexus 7 for less than 200$