Apps without a Google Account

AndesHelp

Feb 27, 2012
withoI am new to the Android World and thought the Galaxy 5.0 would be a good replacement for my old Trustworthy iPaq 111, which lost it's USB capability. Old age maybe?

My problem is since I am new to Android there seems to be a HUGE learning curve. Any time I try to install an app I am told I have to create a Google Account. WHY? All I want to do is sync my Outlook Contacts, Notes and Tasks with the Galaxy. I do not want to post any of this information to an Open to the world online storage facility like google.

How can I install a basic sync app to this Galaxy, without having to create a Google Account? I managed to download the dejaoffice app to the Galaxy, twice. However, Google Mobile does not peovide access to the downloaded files to allow me to install it. How can I gain access to these downloads? There is no "Download Icon" :confused: in this version of Google Mobile, or on the Home page, that I can find. Which is what Samsung tells me to click on.

Maybe there is a way to install apps from my pc?

Thanks

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Well...you could side-load it by downloading an app manually through a website hosting said app (there are a great number). However, I really don't understand your apprehension. Not having a Google Account is crippling your Android device's capabilities regarding apps. It's simply a hassle to do things completely without Google.<br>
<br>
If I may ask, what are you worried about? You aren't providing your information to scammers or identity thieves. Also, it's not like you're giving up your credit card number (like you are required to do with Apple devices); all you need is an email, a password, a Country, and (possibly) a birthday. No real information that you couldn't access elsewhere; that's it.

Last edited:

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I don't think you can do that.. since the Android OS is a Google product.. There may some products that create non google sync files, but I don't know what they would be.
There is a big learing cure... Since I used to work on UNIX and Linux servers, I was able to pickup up on how Android works, but if you are at a novice windows or Mac level, it make take a bit.

but look at it this way, when you get good with Android, you will be a leg up on Linux/UNIX and will be able to transfer some of those skills to the underlaying OS of the Mac, or Windows Powershell.... sort of....

mharckk

Dec 4, 2011
i think theres no harm in creating a google account u can use an alias if u dont want to use your name. :)

AndesHelp

Feb 27, 2012
I do have a Google Account. However, I do not want to post my business and personal information to the Wide Open World of the Internet. Some of the Social Networking requirements have surpassed any right to privacy or dignity.

I have researched the issue of syncing with and without a Google Account. One thing which kept being voiced was the unsecure storage of personal information on the Interent. Once a Google Account is set-up and you sync your customer/private Contacts and Calendar to Google that information is no longer private or protected. The Google privacy policy is full of loopholes which will allow Google to sell that information to anyone who wants it, or release that information for public access. That is why businesses have not allowed the use of Google Accounts on their networks. If banks and financial security systems can be hacked, why would I believe the empty promise of protection by Google?

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
It is possible to side load apps to your tablet. You have to momentarily set your tablet to allow non Google Market installs. In the settings area.
You will have to hunt up the APKs from the net and doing that can be more dangerous to your identity than just providing your gmail email address at log in.
And by the way that is all that it is. When they ask you to log in to the market all they are asking for is your email address and password. So if you already have a G Mail acct you already have what you need, no need to make another, doing this is no different than logging in to your email.
The reason why hunting up the APKs can be dangerous to your identity is because many raw APK files are on unscrupulous web sights that have viruses and malware on them, you can get these on your PC and possibly tablet just by going to the sight. The Android Market makes an effort to be sure that the software there is malware free. So in the end you really are better off just putting in your gmail address and password and having some fun.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Possibly but when I first opened my Android Market acct they did not ask for any payment method until the first time I wanted to get a app that required purchase. Then I had to give a card number, but so long as I was only downloading free apps they never botherd me with it. Just that first time I wanted to buy.

MariluChester

Feb 28, 2012
You aren't providing your information to scammers or identity thieves.
song3.jpg
song2.jpg

3.jpg

jnealand

Feb 12, 2012
For me having a google account is not the issue. I use gmail, but all my contacts are on my PC in thunderbird and also in Outlook. They are in outlook so I can sync with my android phone. I do not allow syncing with my google account. However on my Acer A500 I can not find a way to sync my contacts with outlook. That is where I am finding the disconnect. Why is it I can sync with outlook via my android phone, but not my android tablet. Or is this an acer restriction vs an htc function. Are there apps on market that will sync contacts from outlook to the contact mgr on the tablet?