April is when update released..includes Angry Birds. see note from HSN site

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Posted on HSN along with pricing etc on the product:

• HSN will have the "sneak peek" of the new Nook updates, which launches in April
  • The new updates will be sent out automatically if your device in connected to Wi-Fi
  • HSN customers will receive the update first
NOOK Apps
  • Shop the NOOK Store for a wide variety of fun and engaging NOOK Apps
  • Download all types of apps to get even more out of your device
  • Some of the exciting new apps include Angry Birds, Lonely Planet Phrasebook and Drawing Pad
Adobe Flash
  • Expand your web experience by watching videos that use Adobe Flash
Built-in Email
  • Stay connected via built-in email, just like you do on other tablets and high-end smartphones
  • No need to go through Internet browser
http://electronics.hsn.com/nook-col...sz=6&sf=EC&dept=EC0027&cat=EC0384&o=&ocm=seis

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Very nice find, sound like next update will indeed be android 2.2 and it is very close to release. Thanks. :)

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
I think now is as good a time as any to address what we should be doing to prepare for the firmware update.

For example, I am autonootered with firmware 1.1.0. I"m also using the overclock kernal. What should I do to prepare for the firmware update (which will most likely F with my nook).

Should I block it? If so, how?

Should I allow it to update? If so, should I backup all apps with titanium Premium?

Will we have to wait for XDA to come up with a new autonooter program for the newest firmware?

so many questions...

spdsl

Mar 22, 2011
Yes, nice find.

Any ideas on what happens to rooted nooks when this update goes OTA. Running auto-nootered 3.0 Eclair here.

Bluewhite79...Beat me to it.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If you are running a Custom ROM or have CWR installed, the OTA updates won't effect you.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
ok I'll ask the next question..What is a Custom ROM ? and do I have one... autonooter 1.01 installed

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
no crenita...a Custom ROM is something beyond the B&N version of Android, (phiremod {all versions}, nookie froyo, CM7, Honeycomb)

Do you have Clockwork Recovery installed?

jfree901

Mar 20, 2011
I was not around for the 1.01 to 1.1 update. What happened to people nook during this time? Did the nook just update and unroot itself ?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I can't wait to see this 'update'...it is going to be huge...this isn't a bug fix or feature addition update...this is an upgrade to the OS itself, changing from 2.1 to 2.2. Calling it an update is really misleading.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I was not around for the 1.01 to 1.1 update. What happened to people nook during this time? Did the nook just update and unroot itself ?

If they didn't have CWR installed, that is what happened. CWR blocks the OTA update.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
I have my CWR on a bootable SD card.

Here is what I might do...let me know if this makes any sense.

Buy titanium pro(premium), backup all apps. Create a NAND backup of my currently rooted 2.1 eclair.

then flash back to the stock unrooted ROM, then allow the update to go through.

Then, downgrade the firmware back to 1.1 (not sure how) and do a NAND restore to where I was before.

Then, wait for autonooter to come out for the upgraded B&N firmware?

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
no dont' understand how to use it........... I have Titanium on it but clockwork scared me. with all the dire warnings...... so I didn't do anything with it.

no crenita...a Custom ROM is something beyond the B&N version of Android, (phiremod {all versions}, nookie froyo, CM7, Honeycomb)

Do you have Clockwork Recovery installed?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have my CWR on a bootable SD card.

Here is what I might do...let me know if this makes any sense.

Buy titanium pro(premium), backup all apps. Create a NAND backup of my currently rooted 2.1 eclair.

then flash back to the stock unrooted ROM, then allow the update to go through.

Then, downgrade the firmware back to 1.1 (not sure how) and do a NAND restore to where I was before.

Then, wait for autonooter to come out for the upgraded B&N firmware?

It is a good idea to make a backup since that is always a good idea but you are probably making it more complicated than it needs to be. Make your backups (titanium and nandroid) and then flash CWR internally after you make your nandroid. This will block the update and you can simply wait it out until the developers come out with a new autonooter for 2.2.

Once they have a solution you can revert to stock and get the update over the air or side load and then run the autonooter for 2.2

no dont' understand how to use it........... I have Titanium on it but clockwork scared me. with all the dire warnings...... so I didn't do anything with it.

crenita, it isn't very difficult at all. If you can root your nook you can install CWR. Just follow this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html and ask if you have any questions.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
ok... I DID IT .... and I dont' think I broke it..heheheheh... Thanks for the GREAT INFO... and walk through....