ARCHOS 101 vs Gpad GForce MID 9.7

Jason108

Mar 4, 2011
Ok guys I need a bit of help I looking to buy my first tablet and after many many hours I'm down to these two. I intend to be using it for reading books, watching movies and of cause playing games. Battery life is also a biggy for me as I'm travelling with no wifi and don't want to have to charge it every few hours.

Both of these tablets seem to be a good fit and within my price range. The archos seems to have fewer problems with firmware and better support but the Gpads screen size seems to be more around the more standard dimensions for a tablet of this size or at least the fruit pad thats become the standard.

I had initially thought the gpad but after reading about firmware issues and support from pandawill, I'm back to thinking the Archos might be better.

Can anyone give me a recommendatation, high or low points of either tablet or point me to a site where a comparison has been done.

Thanks

dkelley

Feb 10, 2011
don't know the gpad, but the archos 101 is outstanding. stock firmware is a bit slow, and it has too little ram for what some consider ideal android use. however even stock it's a really good and solid 10" widescreen tablet with great hardware design (case and ports - best of breed honestly). lightest 10" tablet also. outstanding battery life. screen isn't great looking but is still plenty good enough and honestly is about the same as the viewsonic g tablet or other similar models, and the touch response is excellent which is probably more important anyhow.

Speakers are AMAZING in this thing for something so thin - far better than speakers, and far louder, than the galaxy tab 7" (which I had before this).

issues: doesn't do wifi tethering (adhoc), although an xda aftermarket custom firmware is planning support for adhoc wifi tethering in a future release apparently.

also that same UrukDroid firmware for the archos devices provides more storage for the device thanks to some very clever software tricks, which solves the biggest memory issues of the 101.

I can highly recommend this device for a low price. I got mine for $270 used. you can plugin usb keyboards, memory sticks, hard drives. really really useful device. cpu is plenty fast enough also imho.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
If you are going to get the gpad geforce, wait for the next generation which should be available soon...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jason108

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks guys, well I've bought an archos 101 and have to say its fantastic video, books, games and internet all work perfectly frankly I wasn't a 100% but decided to go for it.

The ipad2 has just come out here and a friend of mine waited inline for 8 hours to get one and paid around $1000 NZ for it. We've since sat down and compared the 2 devices and he is a little pissed off now. The archos does everything we want to do and way more and if you take into account the usb and hdmi ports you get way more for your dollar at $450 NZ including p&p than the ipad2. The usb ports just make life so much easyier to access data and hdmi is great for watching video on the TV.

I've set it to run on the lowest power setting to see how long I can go without a recharge and after 2 hours of video (played off a usb stick) its down to 80% so its deffinitly got the battery life to do the things I want it to do.