archos 5IT

viking61

Feb 21, 2011
I have an archos 5 IT tablet which is still under warrantee. Is it possible to get flash player and youtube to work on this machine without hacking, or messing about with the system of the machine?
Also, is it possible to upgrade the android 1.6 operating system to android 2.1 or 2.2?
Any help would be gratefully received.

Viking61

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The basic answer is no/maybe/yes. The Archos 5 is a Gen7 device. The current response is silence from Archos about an upgrade to EClair/Froyo. Unless there is an upgrade path, the following limitations are known.
1. Limited Tethering
2. Flash limited to V9. You can use things like SkyFire and and similar to get some Flash capability.
3. For YouTube, you have to go LowRes and the same limitations of Flash 9 limit.

I have the A5/500 with SkyFire, YouTube and work knowing some things will not work. But that is true for many who have attempted to apply Flash to their EClair/Froyo Tablets.

Thus, until Archos changes their path, the A5 is a Donut (1.6) Android device.

viking61

Feb 21, 2011
Thank you for the info. Downloade skyfire but I get an error message when trying to play youtube videos.

I have no trouble tethering to phones.

I cannot even get flash version 9 to install.

You are right about android upgrades information from archos, I didn't even get a reply!!

This is the first time I have ever used a forum of any kind, so I hope I am doing things correctly........

The basic answer is no/maybe/yes. The 5 is a Gen7 device. The current response is silence from Archos about an upgrade to EClair/Froyo. Unless there is an upgrade path, the following limitations are known.
1. Limited Tethering
2. Flash limited to V9. You can use things like SkyFire and and similar to get some Flash capability.
3. For YouTube, you have to go LowRes and the same limitations of Flash 9 limit.

I have the A5/500 with SkyFire, YouTube and work knowing some things will not work. But that is true for many who have attempted to apply Flash to their EClair/Froyo Tablets.

Thus, until Archos changes their path, the A5 is a Donut (1.6) Android device.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
For some good info, although I think it has lost steam since the gen8 devices have been released, check out wiki.archosfans.com for the 5IT.
Since I got my Huawei Ideos S7 I have kind of let my 5IT sit on the sidelines, although it still has some of the best video codec support out there. I remember there was active work on 2.x and you can find info on it there. As far as Archos is concerned the device is as good as dead.